rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
I am installing my James cowl with Skybolts all around. I got the horizontal passenger side done and went to the other side. Doing my layout, I noticed the front edge of the cowl on the pilot side is 3/4" farther from the firewall than the other side. That is measured from firewall to the front edge of the ring openings.

Is that normal or do I need to figure out what is going on? The fit on the spinner is perfect so I'm confused why it is off. Maybe engine mount puts it that way? Any ideas?

I found my answer talking to a friend. Looks like it is by design so I can change my pants and get back to work!

Get ready to change your pants again; the bottom edge is closer to the firewall, too.

Reason for both is the engine is offset right & down (actually up & left at the rear; the center of the prop flange is centered l-r).

Charlie

Charlie,

I did all the fitting according to the front spinner plate. I got the bottom fine and the sides fit well - I just noticed the difference when I was laying out the skybolt plates on the second side, and it was different.

I do have to say - in my opinion, the skybolt instructions are bad. Considering how many RV's they sell skybolts to, they could be better and save the installer LOTS of time. They do not respond to emails either.