UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - starting to work on my cowling in earnest and running into some issues (big suprise). As you can see in the pics below, I am having some trouble getting the two halves to mate well.

In the pics, the hole around the spinner measures ~13.2" in all directions.
However, there are big gaps between the top and bottom spinner halves, as well as them not sitting flush.

I'm looking for any suggestions as how to best proceed. With all the precision of the matched hole AL parts, I don't understand why the fiberglass parts aren't up to the same standards.......

Thanks,
Jason

28i12iu.jpg

10nfa1d.jpg

11trel3.jpg

142vlgl.jpg

cowling

I think I read where you have to mount the engine before starting on the cowling to establish the correct distances for the spinner, etc.
Then cutting/fitting/glassing as appropriate. More info from other threads I have read on this site also. I hope this helps
Jerry:eek:

I have the engine and prop mounted.... just trying to get a decent fit between the two halves before I proceed further.

Thanks,
Jason

The area behind the spinner must be made the correct diameter and be round.

You will have to fill/add on ect to those areas where it does not come together properly when it is round and the correct diameter.

This is a common area to have to fix.

Actually the fit looks fairly good.

The gap shown where the spinner area is, in the level of the finished surface, is easy to fill, as long as there is something to build upon.

I would think a plywood disk or ring, sized to the spinner, and mounted to the front of the cowling will give you a good reference to work from.

Last edited:
This might be a few years old, but thanks for the post! I know I can proceed without worrying things are wrong (unless it ended up being wrong.....). I'm seeing the same thing on my -7A.
Chris