terry.mortimore

Well Known Member
Hi gang:

I'm working on the installation of my cowl and plan to use Milspec 1/4 turn fasteners. The instructions say to plan the spacing out so that the fasteners fall between the two cylinder heads on each side.

My problem is that I don't have my cylinders yet and I'm trying to do this with out buying them at this time.

Can some nice guys out there measure the distance from the firewall to the centre of the cylinders on their installation? Hopefully there will be some consistancy and I can lay mine out accordingly.

I'm building a RV-6A with a IO-320 narrow deck engine (dynafocal mount).

Thanks in advance, Terry.

Cowling 1/4 turn fastener installation

Hi Vlad:

What I'm after is the distance from the firewall out to the area between the two cylinder heads on the engine.

The body of the quarter turn fastener will protrude inboard and I want to space them out so that the fastener will be between the two cylinder heads and not hit the engine.

thanks for the help, Terry.

cowl fastener spacing

I have a RV-6A with a IO-320B and will take a measurement from the firewall
to the area between the cyls for you. Will also see if I can provide a picture
that might be of help. Info to follow...
Walt N 420V
10hrs - 20 to go
fast and fun...

I was under the impression that the cowling was only to be installed with an engine and it's plenum installed. Am I wrong? It seems I read this in the assembly manual.

I'll repeat what Rivethead says... You have to have an engine mounted prior to installing the cowling. The prop flange location is required as a part of the cowling installation! :eek:

Step back and think carefully before you put the cart before the horse.

Cowling 1/4 turn fastener installation

Hi Walt, that would be appreciated.

I have since learned that is not as tight as I thought it would be with the O-320 engines. I measure 13 1/2" from the crankcase surface (where the cylinder mounts) to the cowl where it passes by the cylinder location.

Not to worry Scott, the engine is mounted. I just don't have the cylinders on it. I've allowed for a 1/4" droop with the extra weight of the cylinders.

Cheers, Terry.