[email protected]

Well Known Member
I just finished my cowl, since the last time I had it on the plane I added a layer of carbonfiber tape to the rear edge to make it stiffer, then micro'd over to smooth the transition.

This has made what was a slight (3/32) bulge away from the fuselage in the lower corner now a 3/16 bulge. (the camlock was pulling it in a little, and it is now 1/32 wider with the reinforcement)

I had noticed on another RV-10 that I inspected that their cowl fit about the same in the lower corners.

My question is, should I just live with it, Try to rework the cowl in some manor, or possibly build up some micro on the aluminum fuselage to feather it in.

The bottom is flush and sides are flush, just the corner sticks out.

Cowl+fitting+-+1

Cowl+fitting+-+2

My question is, should I just live with it, Try to rework the cowl in some manor, or possibly build up some micro on the aluminum fuselage to feather it in.

A question with no right answer. The return question is how much of a perfectionist are you and how much does it bother you?

I learned the hard way that the more you attempt to "fix" things, the more work you end up creating for yourself. At least with my skill level with the fiberglass. I have a couple of these types of issues on my RV-10, I'm just not telling anyone where they are at. Most can't be found unless you rub your hand on the surface.

The problem is that area is easily noticeable. You'll have to get the micro perfect or the solution with look worse than the original problem.

I know that I added absolutely no value in my response. Good luck with whatever option you select.

bob

I'm at exactly this point with my -9A, and found that if you pull the lower cowling inboard between that curve and the exhaust, that it will nicely fit the curve.

In saying that though, you will be pre-loading the fibreglass slightly, so if you feel comfortable doing that, fill ya boots!