clutch22

Well Known Member
Have any of you ever measured cowl surface temp after shutdown?

For about a year, I've been working on building a custom carbon cowl. (Non-RV, but this could apply to one)

I'm getting close to doing the layup, but I keep going back & forth between a room temperature epoxy or a high-temp epoxy. I have an oven in my shop that I plan to build a heat box onto for post-cure, but it's all a little intimidating.
If I can get away with room temp epoxy (that has a service temperature of 200F), that would be nice.

Any advice here?
Thank you!

I wanted to check the battery temperature on the firewall. The strips are directly on the battery and I live in Arizona. I don't know what the cowl temp is. Probably hotter over the engine than on the firewall.
ijav1cOY29oRCzqBQ5Lu2Wmdd94krgK2P3blQQOAwTsCaPYPXBPq8mbTkOgxnANeV3hXJGHSWEs3jSJndGt7CR6XWvPkKH-YhwJLTMV-Y-YOHR4aTxkbPibCPZH8XJmVErwaEcnYkzb48Q1GSBfPXSMaTxSWt97Cp2M7uK5c4VkDV3qzk0QVd7vEhSrex39vftBWAa4gCYCVlqgQQYiqLw1dSTDPGAorgnH0jtkDdOGMmKbFAFfBrc2xbobqSMih4ew5xV1jbsL3TuOyd6CfVYvGS5Go5VlPvljf83KYrg9DZyFxvnYi1jWVimKFvttYk_i4h-IR5k33H8EVq2CKxBIKRngH9ojIeAezSDbOtFhNfwUCzgFIm6RfeoUgkhPAF1yaK8piYWrCARz_WtfRmNJg_adedI9N0friEWmtBnGYf8c9oLAPc0saJb3Ln19exFQtWfNyO2jlkl3zAtdULF0gv3w-dOjVwBeLDjrLUUceUdhCXSOAVEPhMz_H0j0vpOSjrIdQIUBuqweGOkHxlDShWBCLi5U3pYeTXr6BkO96wAcWXN5X9Z0F91pKnlTQA2LPMKBxo9qcqgHi1LDeXy0gSspt_SZegBliN7e_iMqlcpBcqvJJsvug1_SA5QVDSKdmCBiVN5U6ey24h0ok99YheGraogwSxrVi4B3P5Etnr7gfkN7pPuk=w683

Remember that Van's used to supply non-honeycomb, wet layup cowls made from polyester resin/fiberglass and they hold up okay too. I made mods to my old polyester cowl to accommodate the IO-360 and used Bondo resin in the layups. Been flying for 12 years.

I did not know that they used to be polyester. That makes me feel better.
The picture of the temps at the battery helps too.

Andy, thank you for the data.

I have a temperature probe in my lower cowl just in front of the firewall near the exit of the oil cooler. I think it typically runs about 175 deg after shutdown on a 75 deg day. My cowl is polyester with some areas of epoxy where I had to blister it out for a different exhaust.