MacNab

Well Known Member
I was sitting in the Chandler, AZ airport restaurant Monday eating a unhealthy, politically incorrect, but very tasty lunch, when I stumbled onto this while perusing the McFarlane Aviation catalog that was sitting on the counter.

Might be something to consider for you guys that are doing engine baffling right now or in the near future, or anyone who is considering the replacement of their worn baffle seals.

Last edited:
Sample

I picked up a sample of this material at Oshkosh last summer. No experience with it, but it looks great compared to 'normal' baffle material. I'm a long way from cowl work but it's in a folder of prospective vendor products...

Mike

I've got regular silicone baffling in my -6 and I believe it would take tens of thousands of hours of wear to cause any cowling damage. By then the rest of the airplane will be worn out but hey, you may have pristine baffling! :)

Material friction

I've got regular silicone baffling in my -6 and I believe it would take tens of thousands of hours of wear to cause any cowling damage. By then the rest of the airplane will be worn out but hey, you may have pristine baffling! :)

Bob... I think it might be as much a vibration issue as an actual wear issue.

The Grumman baffle guru recommends that the baffle strips are sprayed with silicone spray to reduce friction.. this material seems to just do the same thing permanently.

He also uses the thinner 0.093 flexible stuff over the 1/8 reinforced to also reduce vibration transmittal to the baffles.

Their web site did not have any prices I could find for certified planes... I just got a 0 when I entered in various plane types...

gil A

PS my aluminum Grumman upper cowl is showing visible wear from previous baffle material at 1600 TT.