JimWoo50

Well Known Member
Has anyone fitted their cowl with only the engine case and crankshaft installed? As opposed to assembling the whole engine and letting it sit for a long time subjecting it to rust etc.. My main concern is if the later installation of the exhaust will than be more complicated and what size propellor spacer would I need for a fixed pitch prop in a newer style cowl. My tech counselor advised me to do this and while I trust his judgment I would like to know if anybody has done it. He said the important thing is to nail down the gap between the spinner back plate and the cowl.

Should work fine

Has anyone fitted their cowl with only the engine case and crankshaft installed? As opposed to assembling the whole engine and letting it sit for a long time subjecting it to rust etc.. My main concern is if the later installation of the exhaust will than be more complicated and what size propellor spacer would I need for a fixed pitch prop in a newer style cowl. My tech counselor advised me to do this and while I trust his judgment I would like to know if anybody has done it. He said the important thing is to nail down the gap between the spinner back plate and the cowl.

I had my engine installed but without exhaust, carb, starter or alternator when I fitted my cowling. The Vans cowling only needs to be properly positioned relative to the propeller,crank flange and spinner and everything else will fit fine. The instructions from Van's calls for the cowling to be installed without the exhaust installed. If you have a newer style cowl and don't yet have a prop Van's had instructions on how to space the spinner rear plate to get the proper cowling spacing at the following location.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/Prop_Cowl.pdf

sounds fine

Jim

I think what you suggest would be fine. You only need the engine to get the cowl to line up on the prop hub.
If you don't have the prop yet just place a 2 1/4 spacer on the crankcase hub and mount the spinner onto that. Allow for a little engine sag.
RV7 manual suggest having the spinner 1/8 to 3/16th above the top cowl to allow for the sag.

The exhaust should be well clear and can't see that being an issue.

Peter

Whatever Van's Measurement is....

allow about another 1/8 inch. I used Van's Measurement very carefully and it came out too tight between spinner & cowl. I had to remove rear hinges and relocate to get it to fit right. And yes allow for engine sag, I found if you line up the top of the cowl with the spinner plate it works out about right.

It was a real pain to move those hinges, but do what you want, other peoples results may vary. Good Luck.

Hi Jim....

...If you'll buy the prop extension and bolt it and the spinner backplate on with hardware store cheapo bolts, you'll have exactly the spacing of the final product, including the cowl/backplate clearance.

Regards,

Thanks for the advice and the link to Vans who specifies the ring gear be attached, as soon as I get that I'm starting the cowl. Ebay here I come.