Status
Not open for further replies.

RV6KalGal

I am trying to decide on cowl plugs for my RV-6.
Bruce's custom look nice but are twice the cost of Vans.
Vans appear to have a more substantial link holding them together.
As a lower-cost option an A&P suggested that I simply cut stiff foam to shape and insert flags (which he did for his 3 planes and it appears to work well). I suppose that cut foam could be dolled up with colored duck tape & a stenciled tail number. If taking the home-made approach I would include a linking line that would be looped over the prop to pull the plugs out in case they were missed on the preflight.

Comments are welcome, particularly those who have had good/notso experience with any of the 3 options and other ideas if you made plugs yourself.
Thank you.

Foam

I used leftover 2" thick white PVC packing foam which is fairly rigid. Mine are linked together with a line that also has an inlet plug on it. I have 18 "Remove before flight" banners on both plugs. They work great, cost nothing, but..most foam isnt resistent of UV rays, so I doubt they would last outdoors too long. I keep plugs in mine (hangared) at all times for critters/birds/dirt, and take them with on overnight fly-ins. 4 years, and they are still doing great.

Rolled my own

from closed cell foam "pool noodles" sliced and laminated into a suitable blank with liquid nails adhesive. Carve to fit. Joined with a slender nylon rope; if you forget to remove before cranking, the prop slings them aside no-harm, no foul :D

Using the same set over ten years without issues.

-Stormy

It's easy to roll your own. Acquire some foam from the store, put it in the freezer for an hour cut out the appropriate size pieces on the band saw, punch a hole in the center of them and connect them together with small Dia. rope. Make the rope long enough to go over the prop and if you forget to remove them, the Prop will do it for you. :) Larry

You know those flat, colored foam squares that link together to make flooring for kids play areas or shops? About 0.75 to 1 inch thick, available at places like Sams. Various colors, gray, black. I made blue plugs for my RV12 out of that. Easy to string together with vinyl cord.

I found Menard's had 3" thick rectangular shaped car wash sponges that were already covered in hunter orange colored micro fiber. They fit real nice in my stock Van's RV-10 cowling inlets. Not a perfect fit but good enough for me.;)

Thanks Everyone

Thank you for sharing your advice on creating my own cowl plugs. I will definitely be making my own and appreciate your money-saving ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.