lucaperazzolli

Well Known Member
I'm searching an idea to plan an internal cowl finishing then apply a cowl heat protector film.

How you did ? Have a suggestion for me ?

Thanks in advance.

Luke,
I shot some white Imron polyurethane paint on the inside of the cowl. It looks good. It makes it easy to clean any oil drips and reflects the heat a bit. I then stuck adhesive-backed aluminum foil over the hot spots near the outlet and exhaust pipes. You can purchase this foil from Vans.

Luke,
I did something similar to Tinman. After thoroughly washing I skimmed a very thin coat of epoxy (West Systems) over the inside of the entire cowl to fill some flaws and seal the surface. I lightly sanded and used high temp white engine paint on the entire inside. I then added foil to the surface near the hot spots. It's worked fine for 150 hours of flight so far.

It's also a good place...

....to paint leftover resin after doing fiberglass work. You'll eventually get oil inside the cowl and a nice, slick resin-covered surface makes cleanup easy,

Best,

I didn't (and won't) bother to paint the inside of the cowl (of course, mine isn't pink ... :D). I simply applied a coat of thinned west systems epoxy to seal the inner surface and then applied the shielding material directly to the cowling where desired. I went back and painted the edges of the shielding with epoxy so that oil/fuel/etc. would not seep under and cause it to lift. The epoxy surface is very easy to wipe clean.

Imoron

I did like Tin. Finished inside to pit/void free and shot with leftover Vestal white Imoron. Once oil leaks into glass voids its there forever.

Luca,
I've finished my RV8's with high temp engine enamel, and didn't bother with the foil. I've had no issues with heat from the exhaust pipes, heck until I flared the stainless exhaust hangers from Vetterman, the pipes would occasionally slip down and ride on the lower cowl outlet. This was after the paint job. I had no scorch marks inside and no bubbling of the paint outside.
Good luck,

I did similar to Rocky. I brushed in West Systems epoxy, then brushed on a coat of DP-50 black epoxy primer. It sealed well. I like the white idea for heat reflection tho-....so I'll probably top coat with white.
If you check my link you can see a pic of it, although it's not yet done.

Last edited:
I didn't (and won't) bother to paint the inside of the cowl (of course, mine isn't pink ... :D). I simply applied a coat of thinned west systems epoxy to seal the inner surface and then applied the shielding material directly to the cowling where desired. I went back and painted the edges of the shielding with epoxy so that oil/fuel/etc. would not seep under and cause it to lift. The epoxy surface is very easy to wipe clean.

Same here. I thinned the epoxy 50/50 with acetone and then used a long nap 3" roller to push it into the pin holes. Three coats did the trick.

The epoxy I used was the West System quick hardening type. It is a little brown in color and when I was finished with the cowling you could see where it ran into the foam sandwiched in the cowl. It made it look a bit like cardboard. Sure makes me happy to know it is not oil collecting in there, adding weight and waiting to ooze out on my future paint job.

BTW, I did the same on my first cowl and it worked great.

left over paint

I used filler primer on the entire inside of my cowl and sanded. When I shot paint on my spinner the other day I mixed up way to much clearcoat, so I sprayed what I had in my lower cowl, concentrating on the bottom when the grease and grim is going to be, tough as nails.

Randy