trib

Well Known Member
Well I have almost 9 hrs on N621TR and it's flying beautifully (since 12/12). Plan to remove the cowling after the next flight and change oil. Also plan on RTVing any baffle gaps I can find. At 2300 rpm cruise my CHT's are 346-350F and I'd like to see that a little lower, particularly with the winter OAT's.

The insulation on the lower cowling has come loose in one area. It was self-stick adhesive. Can anyone recommend a good high temperature adhesive to glue the insulation to the cowling?

Congratulations!

I used fiberfrax coating cenment, of course the insulation is also firberfrax. Its been about 9 months and 145 hours and so far holding pretty good. You can not feel the temp on my lower cowl at all, excellent for what it does.

If you're using the aluminized material that self-adheres, I went around the edges of mine with a little epoxy at the same time I sealed the rest of the inner surface. With the edges sealed down it has shown no tendency to peel up.

Regular 3M spray adhesive should do it. Or whatever is on hand... contact cement, or other, but not Elmer's school glue or paste. ;-)

Then a little ProSeal in a baggie does the edges nicely. Or Red RTV looks nice too.

The hardest part is getting the oily dirt off first.