pdecraene7a

Well Known Member
I was in the Upper penninsula of Michigan this past weekend and when we went back to the airport to fly home I found my 7 covered in bird crap, On the prop and around the inlets so I pulled the cowl to find a partially constructed birds nest on top of my engine.
What is everyone useing for cowl plugs. Is therre something off the shelf that works well?

Pete DeCraene
N526PD

My friend had the same issue. He went to the store and got 2 foam pads used to wash cars. They fit just right and by the way he spent less than $3 :D

What about the exit?

All the suggestions were for ways to block off the cowl inlets. So far, so good. Now how do you block off the exit at the bottom of the cowl? A nest too close to the exhaust pipes could catch fire and really ruin your day.

Cowl plugs

I have the same question about the bottom of the cowl. My 6 is always hangered but when I was starting to take the cowl off to change oil, when a small cat came 'flying" out from the lower cowl. Not sure who was more scared,
me or the cat. Still looking for a good way to seal up the lower cowl.
Rich
N721ET 250 hr

Rich:

A couple of suggestions:

1. Rotate you 4 hounds through hangar watch.

2. Name your 6 "Pussy Galore".

:D

Jekyll

Birds and cats

Birds here (NC) won't fly in the exhust opening. They love the cowl opening in the spring.
Mark
Flying -6

I had this problem too

A year or so ago, I left my RV-8 on the flight line for four days while on a business trip. I came back to it and the guy on the fuel truck mentioned the amount of bird **** all around the cowl. A close inspection (that I am not sure I would have done had he not mentioned it) revealed a tremendous birds nest in the cowl. Really it was more like a bird condominium.

I took the cowl off and cleaned out lots of straw, sticks etc.

Now, whenever my plane is outside for more than a few hours, I put the cowl covers on it.

Last night, I was again returning from a business trip. When I got to the plane, the telltale bird **** was there and there was a stick or two sitting on the top of the cowl. It was clear that the birds were beginning the process again. The combination of my cowl covers being there and the shorter time it was on the flight line didn't give them time to get alot done.

A very experienced friend told me that the actual risk of an inflight fire is fairly low, but that a smoldering nest will make a h*llish stink in the cockpit.

Anyway, my point is the same as the other guys here. Don't underestimate the industriousness of our little bird friends. They can build FAST.

bruce
N297NW

MSFT-1 said:
Now, whenever my plane is outside for more than a few hours, I put the cowl covers on it.

Last night, I was again returning from a business trip. When I got to the plane, the telltale bird **** was there and there was a stick or two sitting on the top of the cowl. It was clear that the birds were beginning the process again. The combination of my cowl covers being there and the shorter time it was on the flight line didn't give them time to get alot done.
If I understand correctly, the cowl covers were on, yet they were still trying to build a nest. Was there any nest material inside the cowling? If so, how did they get in? Was it via the cowl inlets, or was it via the exhaust area?

MSFT-1 said:
Anyway, my point is the same as the other guys here. Don't underestimate the industriousness of our little bird friends. They can build FAST.

bruce
N297NW

Of course they can build fast, they don't spend all their time online reading message boards. They are busy building.

Signed,

Just as guilty as the next guy!

Cowl plugs

Bruce's Custom Covers makes a really nice set of cowl plugs complete with your N number, remove before flight streamer and reminder flags. They fit the cowl perfectly, ask them to also make the center plug for the air intake if you have an "O" engine.

Gary

cowl plugs

I don't have cowl plugs, rather a mesh cover (from Sporty's). It uses velcro around the spinner to keep the birds out. The birds apparently tried to move it out of the way to get in. I spent an extra ten minutes very carefully examining the engine compartment before flying.

Oh, make sure to remove your cowl plugs before flight. In case you think it can't happen to you:

This from an official USAF accident report:

WHITEMAN: T-38A engine ingested the aircraft forms

- Time and Date: 2000Z on 22 Sep

- Aircraft: T-38A, TN 65-0442, 394 TS

- Details:

-- The aircraft was preparing to launch for Whiteman AFB, MO on the return leg of an aircraft pickup out and back to Alexandria (AEX) International (Formerly England AFB)

-- As the dual crew taxied out, they heard a loud pop followed by abnormal readings on their number one (left) engine

-- The crew secured the aircraft and had it towed and hangared at a local Fixed Base Operator (FBO)

-- Upon inspection of the number one inlet, it was determined that the engine had ingested the aircraft forms

-- Due to impeding effects of Hurricane Rita at the time of the incident, aircraft was secured at the FBO with 2 BW assistance, and crewmembers were returned immediately to home station for mishap follow up actions

-- Previous similar incident costs have ranged from negligible to max of $150,000

-- 509 BW Commander is investigating as Class C mishap

-- No media coverage at this time but is possible

- Source: 509 BW/CP OPREP-3 HOMELINE, AIRCRAFT DAMAGE (CLASS C), Voice Report and Msg Dtd 27 Sep 05

houndsfour said:
I have the same question about the bottom of the cowl. My 6 is always hangered but when I was starting to take the cowl off to change oil, when a small cat came 'flying" out from the lower cowl. Not sure who was more scared,
me or the cat. Still looking for a good way to seal up the lower cowl.
Rich
N721ET 250 hr

Lord have Mercy! I bet you jumped outa your skin! LOL!!!!!!!!

Not just "remove before flight"

If you use some brightly colored nylon or similar rope to join the cowl plugs and loop it around the prop once when putting them in place, then you may feel foolish if you forget them, but you won't run the engine with blocked cowl openings. I used cheap garden kneeling pads for the plugs and carved them to shape. Put the rope through a center hole in each plug and tie a knot on the aft side. Simple & effective.
h