Lionclaw

Well Known Member
I tried to finish off my exhaust install today. I installed the lower cowl first to make sure everything clears, but I'm getting some interference between the lower cowl and the cabin heat muff. The muff is mounted on the right pipe of my Vetterman exhaust just after the ball joint. There is an angle at which I can put the pipe so that it doesn't hit the cowl, but then there's only 1/8" between the muff and the cowl and only 1/8" between the exhaust and the engine mount.

Anyone have any ideas? I could probably get a bit more space if I mount the heat muff so that the first part of it clamps around the flange on the ball joint. If what I'm describing isn't clear I can take some pictures next time I go.

A Custom Unit is a Good Option

I spent at least eight hours fussing with the stock muff before calling Robbins Wings and ordering a custom (shorter) muff that fit perfectly. It was inexpensive, and took less than 15 minutes to mount.

Hans

Last edited:
Heat muff interference

I had the same problem. Note that the ends of the heat muff that encircle the exhaust pipe are concentric. I was able to reposition them and get about 3/8" clearance between the heat muff and the cowl. Hope this helps.

Jeald

I spent at least eight hours fussing with the stock muff before calling Robbins Wings and ordering a custom (shorter) muff that fit perfectly. It was inexpensive, and took less than 15 minutes to mount.

Hans

I did the same for my H2AD installation in my -6. I also ordered a carb heat muff from him as well that fits on the front crossover pipe. :)

Regards