dick seiders

Well Known Member
Has anyone tried Aircraft Spruce's Firewall 2000 Ceramic Blanket as a cowl heat barrier to reduce/eliminate cowl paint blisters? Or can you recommend a good substitute? Comments please. Thanks.

Fiberfrax

dick seiders said:
Has anyone tried Aircraft Spruce's Firewall 2000 Ceramic Blanket as a cowl heat barrier to reduce/eliminate cowl paint blisters? Or can you recommend a good substitute? Comments please. Thanks.

This used to be the preferred material.....

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/fiberfrax.php

0970F.jpg

....has it been replaced?

gil in Tucson

I tried Fiberfrax on my RV-6. I even still had the special cement you are supposed to use to glue it, left over from my Long-EZ. If you don't cover it with something, it will soak up oil and water. Not good.

I just used the roll of sticky aluminum that Van sells. I initially had some blistering on my Rocket cowl before I had it painted. Stuck that stuff on, re-painted the cowl and the problem was fixed.

cowl paint blisters

Fibrefax sounds problematic. The matl Van sells- how many hours of flight w/o a blister problem? When I first painted mine I did not experience any blisters for prbably 250hrs. Re painting new cowl and want to avoid a repeat of blister problem.
Thanks

Glue down Fiberfrax sheet as required with a few dots of orange high temp silicone. Visit the aircraft supply section of your local supermarket for a roll of the heavy duty aluminum foil wrap sold by Reynolds for BBQ grill use. Cut a piece that overlaps the Fiberfrax by an inch or so on all sides. Glue it down with a thin bead of orange silicone around the underside of the overlap so that the silicone is hidden. Cheap, lightweight, works great.