prkaye

Well Known Member
Is the cowl for an O-320 (standard Lycoming configuration that vans sells) different than the cowl required for an IO-320?
When I ordered my finish kit, I specified IO-320 on the order form, but am now thinking of switching to O-320 (I didn't know the fuel pump was an extra 600 bucks).
Just wondering if this is something I can change my mind on later, without having to get a new cowl.

The IO-320 cowl uses the RV-7 lower cowl which is for I(O)-360. The 360 lower cowl is needed for injected motors to give more clearance for the throttle body.

There are people that are now specifically asking for the 360 lower cowl even for carb setups because it gives them more clearance for the air box. Rumor is that Van's is considering eliminating the 320 lower cowl altogether and just offer the 360 lower cowl for all 320 installations.

Last edited:
Here is something I never understood, maybe some of you speed freaks can help me out.

Why not use the bottom for the carbureted engines even when using fuel injection? It seems to me that with the straight in opening, you could raise your MP at least half a point with the ram air effect.

It might take a custom air box to hold a K&N cone filter but that would be easy enough to make.

What am I missing here?