Lionclaw

Well Known Member
Does anyone use a cart or dolly to take their lower cowl on and off? When I tried test fitting mine the other day by myself I found it rather difficult, and if it was painted it would surely have gotten all scratched up.

I thought I had seen a homemade contraption here somewhere to make it easier...

With the spinner bulkheads in place mine is tricky to get on. I did see somewhere a builder had made a dolly built around a jack for getting his cowl on and off. I would also like to reproduce something like htis, so if anyone has details on how to build something useful, please let us know!

Yes...

...I wrote a small submission to Van's RVator. It was published in the FIFTH ISSUE 2009.

You can use like a big strip of blanket etc. under the cowl & tied over the top of the engine. Get your hinges loose & inch it down while tending your spinner bulkhead. Once you get clear of the snags you can do a walkaway. I think the worst I've done is a 182 with speed cowl 3 blade & zoom pants. Jeez. That's not counting the Gulfstream clamshell I dropped in front of the King O Jordans secret service detail. Didn't feel swift again for months.