riobison

Well Known Member
I have bought an RV4 with a 0360 and a fixed pitched prop with 790+ hrs on AF and Eng and no reported damaged history.

I have a dozen hours on it. Blew a hole in a brake line and changed both out with real high pressure lines.

I have put it back together and have noticed that the clearance between the top of the spinner to the cowl clearance is about 1/8" of an inch and the clearance on the bottom is about 3/8". I had not noticed this before but maybe I missed it.

Everything under the cowl seems straight and nothing is bent or wrinkled to my eye. I checked the engine mounts and they are tight. Nothing is rubbing and flys the same. Hands off and 2600 rpm at 8000 ft and 200 mph. Climbs like a raped ape even at 5000' asl it climbs over 1600+ fpm

I checked the tracking on the prop against a case of oil and an oil can and there might be a difference of a 1/32" so I don't think there is a problem there.

I've seen mounts sag but never go this way. I don't remember reading anything in the log books but I will check the log books again when I get home to confirm that the mounts had not been changed before I bought it.

Is this a real concern or any suggestions.

Thanks

Tim

This is common, especially if builders intentionally built in some difference to account for any future sag. So long as the prop tracks straight and there is no rubbing, there's no issue.
Hope this helps.

The increased clearance at the bottom of the spinner really helps in removing the lower cowl as well.

The more I look at it the more I believe it was designed that way. Looking at it from the front on, it looks perfect. Just the side view it is noticeable. If I was to try and shim it out on the mounts then from the front it would be out of wack. If I figure how to post some fotos I will.