John F

Are most builders attaching the cowl cheeks to the cowl cheek extensions? I've seen some with 3 or 4 screws and probably nutplates attaching the the parts together. Is this a good idea? Thanks

Cheek to cheek

John,

I built my RV4 so long ago the cheeks were made of aluminum! I extended my cowl piano hinge wires into them by making them longer than the cowl. My favorite setup though is on my friend BW's (formerly my friend Brian Wolf's) Art Chard built RV4. The cowl piano hinge wires run from inside the cockpit outward through the cheeks into the cowl. Very slick.
You could use screws with nutplates or Dzus fasteners, your call. I have seen all of the above used on RV4's, good luck!

Smokey
HR2

Yep, I did.

I just finished mine a few months ago and had the same question. Sounds like quite a few of the RV-4's cowl cheeks will start rising off the farings when subjected to the lifting forces of flying airspeeds.

I Just put one small nutplate (for a countersunk #6 screw with a tinnerman washer) that attaches the top half of the cowl to the cowl cheek fairing. Seems to work great so far . . . as an added bonus it seems to help with the installation of the cowl itself.

Rick