Bill Phillips

Well Known Member
Hello Fellow RV-8a builders, while stuff is drying I'm doing odds and ends. I'm trying to make a retainer for the bottom hinges on the cowl. The plans on DWG 48 displays how to retain pins for a 8 and as you all know the 8a is not the same because of the bottom engine mount bolts. Who has a picture of how they designed and attached a retainer clip for their RV-8a bottom pins? Hope to see something and thanks in advance and best regards. Bill of Georgia

On my -8 I initially had hinges on the lower cowl attach points; I didn't use clips to secure them but instead drilled a hole in the adjacent vertical rib flange and then bent the pins to fit into the holes. Sorry I don't have any pics, but you can probably figure it out...

The reason I say "had" hinges was that they lasted a few hundred hours before I got rid of them. Too many broken hinge eyelets; I replaced with a heavy aluminum flange riveted to the hinge attach line and secured the cowl with #8 nutplates and screws. Much better now...

I'm not sure exactly how the 6,7,9 a's cowl attaches, but seeing how Van's uses what works on all his designs they are probably near same. Anybody from the other RV favors got a neat way to secure the bottom pins? Thanks, Bill

I'm not sure exactly how the 6,7,9 a's cowl attaches, but seeing how Van's uses what works on all his designs they are probably near same. Anybody from the other RV favors got a neat way to secure the bottom pins? Thanks, Bill
Make a loop on one end of both hinge pins . Insert the pins into the hinge, and safety wire the loops together. Pin can only be removed after cutting the safety wire.

I bent the ends of the lower and side cowl pins and "sprung" them under the engine mount to bulkhead bolts to secure. Cheap, simple and effective - they aren't going anywhere :)

I'll post a picture later.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6

Bill,

Come on up to Peachtree City for the Falcon Squadron's fly in this Saturday, or any time, and I will show you how I did it to my RV-8. Working on cowling now.
Paul LeDoux

Here is the pic

Jim, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my post and look forward to seeing the pics. Thanks, Bill

cowlpin.jpg

This is the side pins - the bottom pins are similar and lock into the center two engine frame to firewall attachment points on the RV-6.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6

Jim, thanks for the photo. I have already made small retainers for the side hinges. My question is how to retain the two short bottom hinges ? How do you retain them? and thanks for the help, Bill

Paul, thanks for the invite and I will come see your plane someday if the offer still holds. Frankly, in the two hours to get up to Peachtree and return to Forsyth I can get a bunch done on my 8a. My list of things to do to finish is less than half a page. Do you have a photo of how you made your bottom hinge retainers? That would save a ton of time and thanks in advance, Bill

Jim, thanks for the photo. I have already made small retainers for the side hinges. My question is how to retain the two short bottom hinges ? How do you retain them? and thanks for the help, Bill

Bill,

They are essentially the same - the bent ends if the pins spring over the lower center two engine frame to firewall attachment bolts.

I'm afraid I don't have a picture handy.

Jim

Bill,

My daughter lives in Forsyth and I visit frequently. I would like to see your project some time when I am visiting. Send me a phone number and I will call next time I am in town.
Paul
psiled"at" aol.com

Paul, I'd appreciate your opinion and your welcome to visit anytime. I live at 118 Chriswood Drive just off HWY 41 South. Call my cell at 478-731-9678. I expect to be "glueing " my windscreen on the roll bar this Sat if I complete all the prep. Didn't I meet you at Williamson? Maybe at our pancake B'fast or the EAA Christmas party? You look familiar. Best regards, Bill Phillips

Bill,
I can't make it this weekend. I have been assigned several duties at our get together at Falcon Field this Saturday.
I did not attend those events so we haven't met.
Will call you next time I am down. I can see a light at the end of the cowling hinge experience, sure hope it isn't the "NANCY HANKS".
Paul