Paul Eastham

Well Known Member
Hi All,
Like others, my airbox seemed too close to the cowl despite my best efforts to keep the airbox over to the right as much as possible. So, I have cut out an oval area out of the airbox to increase clearance and plan to glass over that hole.

It's hard to see, but I think that'll give me 1/4" clearance. Is that going to be enough or should I make a bigger modification?

Paul

Paul, I don't know if 1/4" is enough, but it probably is. I just replaced my FAB top plate again (300 and 800 hours, found cracks), and this time, I offset the hole to the FI servo (or carb). I believe my offset is about 1/4". My FAB was beating on the cowl, probably only during startup and shutdown. It is possible that the cracks were worsened by this, but I suspect vibration created them.

New plate

My gap is about 3/8". You need enough so you can get the baffle material in position during/after putting the lower cowl back on. Doesn't really matter if you can get a good seal.

I made a new top plate for the airbox so that the snoot lined up better. Much easier than having the thing offset. No issues with performance either.