idleup

Well Known Member
Does anyone have pictures or even better, plans, on building a cover for the AFP fuel pump? I am using the Andair valve so it anyone has a similar configuration I would like to see it. I cant decide whether using aluminum or fiberglass would be best to create this part...

- Matt

When ordering the AFP fuel pump through Vans, the pre-made cover comes with it. For the fuel valve, I used the Vans supplied mounting plate drilled to fit the Andair valve. Because I don't have manual trim, I ended up bending the flange for the manual trim knob to 90 degrees and trimmed it to about 1 inch. Then I installed it upside down to mate perfectly with the AFP fuel pump cover.

I purchased my system with the engine when I bought it through Superior and never received a cover for it. I wonder if they left it out?

Anyway, do you have a picture of it and your installation?

- Matt

Order Van's kit, less what you got!

Matt,

I installed the AFP-pump-kit and an Andair double stack valve, (return lines to both tanks). I used the Vans kit, but had to alter is somewhat because the piping would not fit inside (the litle tapered cover on top). Order the kit from Vans, less the parts you already have and you should be fine.
f_P6220053m_b376cdb.jpg

f_P8010073m_7f5255c.jpg

f_P8010075m_17317d6.jpg

You can also check out Rene Bubberman's site (Netherlands), he has made a custom cover, that also covers the Fuel flow sensor that he installed in this area.

Regards, Tonny.

What Tony said. If you order the Van's FWF for an FI engine, you will get Van's complete setup: tubing, base plate, cover, fittings, and a drawing showing how to plumb it all, as well as another pump w/manifold and another filter. I'm surprised you had that issue with the cover, Tony. When I ran across it, I thought it was just the difference between a -6 and a -7. Frankly, I had other fit issues because the selector mount is different and there is no forward floor plate in the -6, but I made it work.

Tony,

That cover is exactly what I need, I just searched VANS site and cannot find it. Does anyone happen to have the part number of it?

- Matt

I think you'll have to call Van's; it's part of their FI pump kit. Note, in the picture without the cover, the plate the pump and filter rest on. You probably want that as well, along with the plans for the pump install. And, for the Andair selector, they recommend a special AN swivel fitting - F SWIVEL TEE - to make it easier to plumb the return line.

I had already ordered the FWF kit from Van's, which included the pump install kit (Part 7/7A F.I. PUMP INSTAL) and then Superior included the pump and filter which were exactly identical to what Van's sent me. So I used the parts Superior sent with the Van's kit and the pump and filter Van's sent me are in the box of extra parts to be returned. I'd bet if you call Van's you can get the kit sans pump and filter, much like you can order the FWF and leave parts out.

Need a copy of the plans for modifying the center tunnel cover

I'm planning on using the Andair pump. I called Vans and ordered just the parts for the AFP FI pump doghouse. These are the F-7115B-L&R and F-7115C.
The F-7115A bracket won't work for the Andair pump since it has some extra cuts and bends specific to the AFP fuel pump kit, so I'm going to roll my own.

Does anyone have a copy of the AFP FI kit plans they can send me?
I just need some of the measurements off those plans in order to correctly trim down the stock center tunnel cover.

IIRC, the plans are part of the Van's FWF instructions for the FWF kit. Anyway, you should be able to get them from the factory. Neither Superior nor AFP have anything specific for your aircraft.

Edit: I should read more carefully when I haven't had my coffee yet. I still think you can contact the factory for the plans but I'd advise ordering the F7115A and using it as a base template if nothing else; you might even find that modifying it is easier than starting from scratch. Alternatively, ditch the plans and do your own custom installation, with measurements to suit you. I found the stock installation a bit cramped; if I had used the Andair pump I might have been tempted to come up with a better overall installation.

Last edited:
Anyone have a Drawing number for this installation that I can request from Van's? A photo or PDF is all I really need to get the center tunnel cover modified in preparation for installation of the fuel pump.