ppilotmike

Well Known Member
For many of you who don't know or remember, the VAF community conducted a very charitable excercise last year, working together to make a wish come true for a young man named Alex Cuellar. Alex is a CAP cadet who was aiming to become a commercial pilot. Unfortunately, he was diagnosed with an inoperable, unidentified, cancerous brain tumor in 2011 in the midst of his flight training. Chemo and radiation treatments nearly killed him and the prognosis was bad, but right about the time it looked like all hope was lost, MRIs showed the tumor had stopped growing. When I showed him our RV10 project, he told me his "wish" was to attend OSH. I told him, if he could get well enough to go, I'd see if I could make it happen.

Well, the VAF community really came through for him. It started with stick time in an RV6, then time in a local RV10, then an all-expenses-paid trip to Airventure 2012 with his dad, an Army veteran. At OSH, they were supplied an EAA golf cart to help them get around, some spending cash for souvenirs, they got a special tour of the Ford Trimotor, gave a speech at the Vans Aircraft Banquet, and even got a ride in FIFI! It was truly a grand adventure for both him and his father. Doug Reeves even helped his family with the tremendous healthcare costs, by donating money from the sale of VAF hats.

After OSH, Alex and his dad returned home with newfound energy. Alex went from barely being able to eat solid foods, to regaining his original weight and starting to run again. His family did everything they could to enjoy life and pursue dreams they might have previously let pass them by. Regular MRI checks at the hospital showed the tumor was still there, but not growing. Life was good. Alex even spent his last birthday going indoor skydiving! More recently, his family was planning to participate in a marathon in California.

Well, they were just given some terrible news the other day. Alex's cancer has returned and had spread to his spine. While this was an incredible blow to all those that know him, Alex, in typical "Alex fashion" is not giving up. He and his dad filmed this short video on YouTube as a Thank You. Please keep him in your prayers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9JpX3DFSZ4&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
Wow, thank you, Mike for posting this. He's asking for our support. Well, he's got mine! And my prayers, too. I know how important prayers can be in overcoming an illness.

We're pulling for you, Alex!

He has support all over the world. A fighter - he is an inspiration.
So much courage, and I am sure he can get a good response from the new treatment.
John

Prayers and best wishes to you and your entire family Alex!

When you get out to the East Coast, you have an RV-9 ride waiting for you.

Mike,
Thanks for the update. It sounds like Alex has had a pretty great time since Oshkosh. I know how much he loved that trip. I am glad to have had the chance to meet him - he is a great kid! Tell him my family and I have him and his family in our prayers. He is a fighter and we wish him the best. Let me know if there are any needs. Thanks.

Update.

I went to see Alex in the Children's Hospital yesterday. His patient room was full of family and friends, and so was the waiting room in the lobby. He is in good spirits. They started treating him earlier this week, but the effects of the chemo won't hit really hard 'till maybe this weekend. He's been through all this before, so he knows what to expect. Let's hope he can kick butt this time.

Wow, what a courageous Alex, Mike, pls tell him, that he has our prayers all they way from South Africa, and when one day he visits our country, we WILL take him for good flight here and show him our country, that he can count on!!!!

What can we do?

We pray for Alex that he has a full recovery , what a great story,
What can we do as far as donations to help, Is anyone spear heading this.
Smilin' Jack

Inspirational

I'm sitting here dripping tears on the keyboard as I write this. I was blessed to sit across from Alex and his father at the Van's banquet at Oshkosh. He is truly an inspiration and I wish him all the best in his fight against this insidious disease.

When there is a vehicle to accept donations, count me in. Hang in the Alex.

Thanks again...

to everyone, for their kind words. I have told Alex about this thread, so perhaps he is watching from the hospital.

Alex

Mike,

Could we get a update on how Alex is doing?
Also, is there anything we can do besides prayer?

EAA Radio Interview with Alex

For those who have been following this thread I thought you might be interested it listening to Alex's Airventure experience last year. Through the help of the RV community and many others we were able to get Alex and his Dad to Airventure 2012.

We all hope to see Alex and his family at Airventure this year. Keep the positive energy and thoughts flowing.

He is the link to EAA radio interview.

http://www.airventure.org/radio/archives.html

Select the interview with Alex Cuellar