UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - after working all weekend on figuring out a way to mount and install the larger oil cooler to the firewall on my Rv-7A, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I decided to switch to the larger cooler now, after speaking with the folks at Aerosportpower. For their IO-375, they recommended installing an oil cooler that was larger than the standard one Vans sells.

FYI - I ordered the mounting kit Vans sells to firewall mount the larger oil cooler in the RV-10. I could not figure out a way to make it fit and for the scat tubing to clear the motor mount.... so I fabricated one from scratch. As you can see, I don't think it turned out too bad. I still have to trim it a bit to clear the skybolt fasteners for the cowling, other than that it's pretty much finished.

wjtpj7.jpg

6r7t5e.jpg

Anyway.... on to my questions.

1) I have to order new oil hoses. I understand best practices is to plumb the output from oil pump the the low side of the cooler... which of the oil line outputs on the engine the high pressure side of the pump?

2) How can I protect my motor mount from the scat tube rubbing? I'm sure that there is a elegant solution, but I'm drawing a blank.... I haven't seen any Adel style clamps that go up to 4"... Any suggestions?

34fbgg8.jpg

Thanks,
Jason

Last edited:
Jason-

Plumb the pressure outlet to the inboard port, and the return to the outboard side. Straight hose ends at the cooler, and whatever it takes (90*) at the accessory case.
The mount tube/SCAT tube can be protected with a piece of wire loom, or better yet, firesleeve tape. Rugged, fairly thick, and heat resistant. You can also fab a clamp/bracket assembly to move the SCAT tube away from the mount tube slightly, and secure it at the same time.
Tom

Last edited:
How can I protect my motor mount from the scat tube rubbing? I'm sure that there is a elegant solution, but I'm drawing a blank.... I haven't seen any Adel style clamps that go up to 4"... Any suggestions?

It's common to use a strip of stainless sheet here to make your own clamp for scat hose - doesn't have to be cushioned. Van's sells a pre-cut strip for this (P/N SS304-26GAX1/2X9). I personally would use a clamp like this plus as much RTV as necessary to keep the tube from touching the motor mount directly.

good luck,
mcb

. I haven't seen any Adel style clamps that go up to 4"... Any suggestions?....
I did not like nor was I inclined to use the S.S. strips that came with the kit so I ordered a couple of cushioned clamps. As you can see, 4" Adel clamps do exist. I cannot immediately recall the vendor but I'm sure someone reading this can provide you with a link.

15evdkh.jpg

I just checked and McMaster Carr has 4" clamp for ~$3.... that should totally take care of my rubbing issue.