macrafic

Well Known Member
I've joined the aft and center sections of the fuselage, and have a couple of questions.

When are the two halves of the 704 bulkhead supposed to come together? I've looked through the plans very carefully and do not see instructions to bring them back together. Should they be together to fit the side skins? Are they only temporarily put together at this point (with spacers and std hardware bolts)?

Also, my longerons follow my side skins very nicely, at least as far as the bend is concerned. How do I tell, at this point, if the twist in the longerons is good? Or, is this something I have to wait until later to determine?

As usual, I'm grateful for those who have gone before me!!!!!!

I've joined the aft and center sections of the fuselage, and have a couple of questions.

When are the two halves of the 704 bulkhead supposed to come together?

You will need them together to fit the side skins as you will need to finish drill the holes thru them and the doubler for this area. You will also need it together to fit the front structure of the fuse.

I've looked through the plans very carefully and do not see instructions to bring them back together. Should they be together to fit the side skins? Are they only temporarily put together at this point (with spacers and std hardware bolts)?

You can do this all the way up till you rivet the front bottom (under the feet) skin and the side skins on. This skin is what ties it all together perm.

Also, my longerons follow my side skins very nicely, at least as far as the bend is concerned. How do I tell, at this point, if the twist in the longerons is good? Or, is this something I have to wait until later to determine?

As usual, I'm grateful for those who have gone before me!!!!!!

You will not know how well these are twisted until you fit the firewall. You can adjust these twists then. You will also see how well they are bent once you sit the 704 on them upside down on the sawhorses.

Notice mine are not together here but from here on out, they were...

DSCN5166.jpg

Make sure you fit the doubler in there as you go!

DSCN5173.jpg

The top of the forward 704 must fit right at the downward bend in the longeron.

DSCN5176.jpg

DSCN5224.jpg

The twist needs to fit these steel parts very well. Easy to do with a cresent wrench.

DSCN5195.jpg

You have to have them together to fit all of this stuff forward (except the brakes and subpanel structure) of the 704 in this pic before final riveting.

DSCN5511.jpg

Keep pounding away and before you know it you will have this to deal with :D:

DSCN6644.jpg

Last edited: