I'm curious if anyone has their build times for each of the sub-kits? I'm looking at starting building in a couple of years, and I'm going to have to stretch out the build for $$$ reasons. Just seeing how long I can extend my fun the first few years until the real $$$ gets spent? Looks to me that the empennage and wings can be built for pretty much what they advertise the kits for plus tools, correct? Fuselage, finishing and FWF looks to be where you are spending the $$$ to me.

Also, tried searching for it, but haven't found much info on the baggage compartments. Looks like a few guys have done a mod to the aft baggage and increased the space. How much more space do you get with this mod?

It looks like you are well off to pack in duffel bags if you are doing an overnight trip? Basically, can the wife and I haul enough clothes and stuff for a 2-3 day trip visiting bed and breakfasts etc... in a RV-8?

Is there a quick or easy way to remove the aft seat and throw a set of golf clubs in the back if you are flying solo?

Thanks.

baggage space

I find that my wife and I can go traveling for a week with everything we need if we stay in hotel-type lodging, with the stock baggage space. Definitely pack in duffle bags so everything is squishable.

If you want to go camping, it takes backpacking-style consciousness about what to bring, but we can get a tent, two sleeping bags, pads, clothes, and my backpacking stove and two pans and some food.

To take the rear seat backrest out, you have to pull two segments of piano hinge out, thats it. If you know you are going to be doing this, then you could fashion some rings or pull handles for the hinge wire so it would be faster. And of course you would also pull the rear stick. I have a fast-pin to retain my rear stick so it comes out quickly.

There are some pictures on some websites on folks that have modified their rear baggage space. Here is an example from Mike Robbins:
aftbaggage.jpg

for comparison, the standard rear baggage compartment has a shelf where the four cleco's are on the longerons, and then drops down to the floor just forward of the clecos that you see. This shelf encloses the rear battery mount, as well as the elevator bell crank. In the picture, the small housing surrounds the bell crank, and the battery has been mounted elsewhere. RV-8's tend to be nose heavy if you put a C/S prop on, so many of us put the battery back there.
I considered doing this, and may in the future, primarily to enable carrying 24" bicycle wheels. (27" wheels will not fit in the baggabe compartment in any case, but I have had my normal road bike in there with the rear seat out)

As for build-times of the kits, it varies all over the map, but if you work consistently, I think you can build the empennage in 2-3 months and the wings in about a year or a bit more. The biggest time sink is prepping the edges of the metal parts - power tools make it faster. You will be at least a year, maybe two into your fuselage before the big money items come: you can have the inside all painted and do much of the electrical wiring before you have to install the panel and the engine.

Last edited:
I'm curious if anyone has their build times for each of the sub-kits? I'm looking at starting building in a couple of years, and I'm going to have to stretch out the build for $$$ reasons. Just seeing how long I can extend my fun the first few years until the real $$$ gets spent? Looks to me that the empennage and wings can be built for pretty much what they advertise the kits for plus tools, correct? Fuselage, finishing and FWF looks to be where you are spending the $$$ to me.

FWF and panel are really where the expenditures can get big. How fast you get to that stage is pretty much up to you. Some folks can finish an empennage in a couple of weeks, others take a year. Wings and fuselage are both a lot more work, assuming you don't go quick-build. There's certainly nothing wrong with building slowly (assuming you keep moving forward).

Yeah, my plan is to build 200-250 hours/year. I was just trying to get a rough idea at that pace how long the tail and wings would take (in years). I've seen numbers from 250-350 for the tail but haven't seen anything for the wings. Trying to do about a 10 year build. Financially, I'd probably only be able to do wings and tail for the first 3 years or so, I'm WAGing.

When you take the rear stick off, is there a cap or cover that you put over the connection to the controls so that something doesn't jam the flight controls (thinking sliding golf clubs)? I've ridden in the back of a -4 but it has been several years and don't recall the exact setup as it would relate to pulling out the control stick.

Trying to do about a 10 year build. Financially, I'd probably only be able to do wings and tail for the first 3 years or so, I'm WAGing.

I spent somewhere in the 2-3 year range on these parts. I was constrained on both time and money available and ended up taking about 8 years total.