diamond

Well Known Member
I countersunk one hole too deep on the horizontal stab spar flange. I could just use a larger rivet, but how about filling the over-countersunk hole with JBweld, drill the hole out, and then countersink the epoxied hole over again? Anyone done this? Any reason not to go this route?

I would go with the larger rivet, this will allow you to drill out to the next size touch up the counter sink depth if required and not compromise part thickness.

You'll forget about that one rivet very quickly.

Cheers

I countersunk one hole too deep on the horizontal stab spar flange. I could just use a larger rivet, but how about filling the over-countersunk hole with JBweld, drill the hole out, and then countersink the epoxied hole over again? Anyone done this? Any reason not to go this route?

Please clarify - countersink too deep, hole out of spec for -3 rivet, or both? I'm assuming the HS skin covers the flange/CS, so it is a case of the hole being enlarged beyond spec..?

If above is correct, the next question becomes is the flange the bottom (shop head) workpiece or sandwiched between the skin and another workpiece below?

Last edited:

No way on the JBweld.

You could go to a larger rivet so long as you meet minimum edge distance requirements.

If the above can't be satisfied, I would just suck it up and order a new part.

vans does sell oops rivets which are simply a -3 head with a -4 shank if the diameter of the hole is the limiting factor.

bill

vans does sell oops rivets which are simply a -3 head with a -4 shank if the diameter of the hole is the limiting factor.

Yes, but you may not be able to just substitute for -3 rivets one-for-one. I had this discussion with Van's a few months ago when I found I had missed countersinking and dimpling 9 holes for rivets attaching skin to rear spar. One option was using the smaller head rivets - BUT there would have to be twice as many due to the reduced grip of those rivets. I don't know how big a deal it would be for ONE rivet, though.

It's one of those things that seems innocent enough, but I'd check with a "real" engineer first.