rleffler

Well Known Member
While starting the horizontal stabilizer for my RV-10 on page 8-2, my attention was diverted and I ended up countersinking an incorrect hole on the rear spar. Step 2 is the where I made the mistake and countersunk the middle hole (vertically) two holes to the left of the two holes that were supposed to be countersunk.

On Page 11-4, Figure 4, it appears to be the hole that is initially cleco?d on the rear spar to F-101C. It appears that the top and bottom holes are attached with an AN3 bolt. I?m having difficulty finding the purpose of this middle hole, other than aligning the spar to match drill the top and bottom holes. I can?t seem to find the step where it indicates that the cleco comes out and another fastener is used.

So the questions I am attempting to figure out are:

• What specifically is this hole used for other than just to initially align the spar for match drilling the top and bottom holes?
  • Will having a countersink be an issue with the intended purpose of this hole?
  • If it is an issue, can I install a doubler or some other appropriate fix?
  • Or am I SOL and need to order another spar?
Yes, I've already emailed Van's, but it's a Sunday and they aren't back in the office until at least Wednesday due to SnF.

There are some holes in things that are part of the manufacturing process, (tooling holes)--------this may be one of those-------if so, you dodged a bullet.

Look forward in the plans to the portion where the stab is actually mounted on the tail cone. The hole in question man be a mounting hole for the stab, and if so, then you may have NOT dodged that bullet.

If it is indeed a mounting hole, you might be able to go up in fastener size-------if there is enough structure left around the hole in both parts-----

Checking with Vans is absolutely the correct approach here.

Hope this helps.

Mike