cjensen

Well Known Member
what are you all doing (if anything) to protect the countersinks cut from the wing spar? i've seen a few websites offering some possibilities from self-etching primer to alodine pen to nothing.

i'm leaning towards alodining with the pen, and leaving it.

Prime or Pen

I bought one of the Alodine 1132 Pens and I find it useless in my opinion. Also very expensive!! Just shoot a little primer and move on.

Primer

Just mask the spar web and spray the whole flange. That will not only take care of your countersinks, but will provide extra protection between the spar falnge and the skin. Metal to metal contact...even alodine against anodize...is a possible site for corrosion.

Dave Cole
RV-7 wings

I taped the whole spar and sprayed with a rattle can. Sherwin Williams self etching primer.
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
cjensen said:
what are you all doing (if anything) to protect the countersinks cut from the wing spar? i've seen a few websites offering some possibilities from self-etching primer to alodine pen to nothing.

i'm leaning towards alodining with the pen, and leaving it.

I'm in South Florida on the east coast. If the cuts are fresh, then alodine and use a two part epoxy primer. If they have been standing for a few days, etch first . I can tell you that Rvs on my field that were not alodined are showing corrosion after two to four years!.

Peter

plaurence said:
I'm in South Florida on the east coast. If the cuts are fresh, then alodine and use a two part epoxy primer. If they have been standing for a few days, etch first . I can tell you that Rvs on my field that were not alodined are showing corrosion after two to four years!.

Peter

i can definately understand this being where you are peter. i'm not too concerned about it here in the midwest though to use an epoxy primer.

where are you at in south florida? i used to live in stuart and jensen beach, and still have family in the ft. pierce/vero area...

I used an Alodin pen I bought from SteinAir.com. Quick and easy. The pen isn't cheap, $52, but I've used it throughout the project and feel like I've gotten my money's worth.

that's what i'm thinkin'...just for future reference on the pen, i've seen them in the wicks catalog for $42. ;)

cjensen said:
...just for future reference on the pen, i've seen them in the wicks catalog for $42. ;)

nevermind, that was an old catalog. i see they are now $55 at wicks.
:mad: