Auburntsts

Well Known Member
Folks,
Not sure what happened, but I was countersinking my rudderstop striker plates and got one way too deep. Is it OK as is or do I need to get another one?
R-1007AStrikerPlate.jpg

Thanks,
Todd
RV-10 Emp

Forgot to ask, but if it's permissible to move on with a too-deep CSK, how do you set the rivet since the manufactured head is now sitting below the surface?

Thanks,
Todd

I did that: bought new bits...

...so I'd like to know whether this kind of thing is rescuable or not as well. I did exactly that on the aileron hinge bracket angles. Not once, but twice. On the same assembly, but different parts, one week apart! Don't ask!! It cost me a small fortune to get new ones sent over from Vans, twice! At least I know they are now correct, even if it did cost me a couple of hundred NZ$. (I subsequently bought an additional CSK cage from Avery, so now I have one pre-set for 3/32" rivets, another pre-set for 1/8" rivets, and the third one for everything else. That third one always gets reset to 'won't cut anything' immediately after use!
Cheers,

Next rivet size up....

The only fix is to go to the next rivet size up.... and hope the over-size countersink will work with the larger head.

If the rivet is too deep in the countersink, there is no way the rivet set will work, and the rivet head will never fill the countersink.

The rivet specifications allow the flush head to be 0.005 inch below the surface after setting, but the picture above is way past this...

gil in Tucson

Thanks Gil. I figured as much after I gave it more thought during dinner. I had already made up my mind to replace it so I'll be calling Van's first thing on Monday. The good news is it's a cheap part so I'm not too bummed out about it.

Todd

it might make a difference if this is the superior (top) rivet of the striker plate. These get set with (i think) LP-4 blind rivets - you don't have to rely on the rivet being flat with the surface in order to set, it's pulled with the puller. This part is pretty thick, so my personal thought is that it's probably thick enough to hold the rivet, but, if you're like me, you have a list of things from van's ready to make up an order - is pretty cheap reassurance to let yourself sleep easier if you want to order a new one.....

(if i was in new zealand, i probably wouldn't!)

Phil
-10 empennage

tinnerman washer?

I was considering Pro Sealing a tinnerman washer in the countersink to bring the rivet head up at one time - when I thought I'd C-sunk the main spar too deep!
Fortunately I was wrong (again!) and had not gone too deep. Curious about what the old hands would think of that kind of a fix...