tkatc

Well Known Member
I have 2 countersink cages as most builders recommend at least 2. I have found that one of my cages has a tendency to leave "chatter" marks as opposed to a smooth cut. The other one is just fine. Any idea why this happens?

The "good" cage is a "pressed" design and you cannot access the bearings whereas the "bad" cage has a removable clip that I assume gives access to those bearings. Is there some sort of adjustment to be made? I hate chucking up different size countersinks and adjusting for depth each time. I'd rather set it and forget it...

Your pilot hole may be too big or the pilot is worn out. Try under drilling by a size or 2 on some scrap and see if it still chatters.

if you swap over the cutters - does the same cage still chatter ? If so it sounds like the bearing or bush is worn out. I have several that I bought on ebay - Running at 2900rpm or faster .. Never a problem with chatter if the bearing is tight - Can you wobble the shaft side to side if you push on the cutter nose ?

Yeah, even if I change bits it still chatters. Those same bits work fine in the other cage so I've narrowed down the problem to the cage. Worn bearings?

I would say so - Does it have a bearing or a bush ? The shaft itself could also be worn ... Take it apart and have a look - You may be able to get a new bearing for it or a new bush ..