Jconard

Well Known Member
I understand that some initial, "rough" triming of the new style elevator counterbalance weights is specified in the plans somewhere, but I just cannot find it.

Any suggestions to minimize post-paint trimming?

Roberta? How did you handle the pre, and post-paint triming?

As I understand your question, I think you will find the dimensions you want on DWG 5 (dated 6/01/01 on my set), Zone D6. :)

I used a metal cutting (vertical blade) band saw to cut out the section shown on DWG 5. I was able to hold the lead piece in-hand and cut very slowly and carefully so the lead didn't "grab".

I don't know any short cuts to save time when painting and balancing, but in my unpainted, but otherwise finished, elevator it is quite a bit "over balanced".

It will be easy to drill out excess lead from the counterbalance when the time comes if it is deemed necessary. I also added two platenuts in the counterbalance arm so I can easily add weight if necessary. (Phots upon request)

Don
N17QB
Cortland, OH

Put 2 platenuts in the outer lead piece make 4 holes which you countersink so they can take poprivet and rivet the outer to the elevator-then you an bolt and unbolt the inner one as you like I have electric trim on my RV8 and the left
elevator was perfect but the right needed almost half the inner lead trimmed off as they were installed per plans I had to drill the lead away and is does not look nice

J?rn M?ller
RV8 200 hours

I trimmed the right side weight pretty close to plans and left the left side as is. I believe the plans tell you this. The reason is the trim tab and extra hardware on the left elevator requires a bit more counterweight. After painting, I just needed to drill a couple of small holes in each to balance the elevators. You can't see the holes readily, but you can plug them up with something light, if you want. I just left them.

Roberta