dent

My rv4 counter balance arms do not match the airfoil of the harz. stab. Lead has already been poured in. What is the best way to fix.. Bought already built, no paint on them. Any help would be Great
Dennis

Sounds like the control horns on the elevators were drilled incorrectly. If that's the case, not an easy fix as they are riveted on before the skins go on. Do you have some pictures?

If both elevators are lined up correctly and the counterweights are misaligned,then elevators were built wrong. Elevators are easy to build.

oops

Well, let me state this another way.. It lines up in the front no problem, its the airfoil that is off.. Its get 1/8 to big right by the lead and then only 1/16 off of the bottom skin.

Do I need to cut the lead out and reshape the skin of what??
No pictures yet, bad storms in Memphis now...

Thanks,

Dennis

If it is a "thickness " issue, you could take the lead out and remove the counterbalance skins and try bending the counterbalance rib flanges down a little flatter where needed. However, by doing that, the rivet holes will not line up, requiring new skins there. It would take some work to do all of that.

I recently finished my elevators on my -4 empennage kit and I found the same thing. The thickness of the airfoil once you add the .032 skin makes the counterbalance about 1/8" thicker overall than the tip of the horizontal stab. At first I thought I built it wrong. I considered bending the flanges on the inner rib wider (less than 90) but that would have meant the skin would wrap in two directions, a sort of compound curve and I didn't think it would be too easy. My mind was put to rest when I compared to a friend's -4 and his is exactly the same way. I never noticed it before and probably never will. It's just how it's made. It's certainly not a safety issue as far as I can see. My friend's -4 has over 400hrs on his now. Short of making new, slightly smaller elevator tip ribs, I can't see how can change it much.