FLYPTV

Would you guys indulge me in a conversation. . .

I have been messing around with Paintbrush drawing and daydreaming about a modified -4 fuselage. I love the idea of the -3, but just a little too small for me.

My idea is to have the front seat reclined just a bit more and maybe about 2 to 3" aft with the roll bar hidden in the fast back. I sit tall in the saddle, so a need for more recline would be helpful. Also just a little more room between the face and the canopy/panel.

Feasible? I have lusted after a Polen Special, and was wondering if this might fit the bill. . .

BTW. . . why a single seat? Because in the two years I owned half of an RV-6, just about 90% of my 100 hours in the airplane was by myself. . .

If possible, my thought is, it could be a real screamer. . .

Maybe someone has done one already. . .

This is a really rough drawing. . . :eek: Let's see. . .

6p2u7c.gif

Be gentle. . . just having some fun. . .

there was a 4 kit for sale that had been converted to single seat. I don't remember if it was a fastback style or not.

search the classifieds

You could also shorten the wings....

....and have the beginnings of a Harmon Rocket since it'd be lighter anyway.

Regards,

Before jumping in think about resale value.

If single seat is what you want build an RV3. If hotrod single seat is what you want build a Harmon Rocket.

Yea. . . I have seen those.

The HRIII is flown from the backseat, or very near the back seat position.

Cool, but that whole IO540 gas guzzler issue, yea it's a hot rod and the wow factor is something. Living only 95 miles from it's birthplace, I get to see them running around quite a bit.

The converted -4 to a single that has been for sale is also flown from the back position.

Pierre has the right idea. . . light. . . fast. . . and efficient. With a little more crew comforts than the -3. Plenty of room for gear behind the seat. . .

The drawing kind of has the profile of the -6, which I think is still the best looking ''profile" of the bunch, but I prefer a tandem airplane, or single seat.

Selfish. . . you bet. But the way I see it, this will probably get done somewhere around the time I retire, 19 years from this June. I'll need something to disappear in every other three days. Otherwise, my wife and I won't know what to do with each other if I am home all the time. . .:rolleyes:

As far as resale? I am not sure that I would ever sale one of these if I built it. . . don't need to hang a product liability issue around my retirement. . . So, it's my machine. . . but I bet if it does what I think it could do. . . it would be a coveted machine.

Hmmm. . . dreaming. . . Titan IOX-340, built in oxygen system, 42 gallons of fuel. . . I know, I know. . . K-I-S-S. . .:eek:

I wouldn't worry about resale anyway, how much more is a 4 vs 3 kit anyway. People are building 3's now too and nobody tells them not too for resale reasons. Only real difference in cost is the kit. Might take awhile to find the right buyer but all the reasons you have for builing a 3XL or mini-4 (I prefer 3XL for a model designator BTW) are valid with many pilots.

You wouldn't get your money out of it but I don't know any of us who will at this point???

So anyway, I like the plan myself.

Take a close look at a -4 and make sure moving the seat back won't put your calves on the spar. Doubt it would unless you went wayyyy back but just a thought.

Ought to improve the CG a touch and pick up a smidge of speed there with the tail "working" less??? At least compared to fying the -4 solo...

Sounds very cool to me. This is what experimental aviation is all about. Resale value? Don't need no "steenking" resale value!:D

Resale value is a myth... how the plane is built will carry the sale. 320, 360, 540 engine preference is up to the buyer... everything else is pretty much B.S. A single seat, FB RV4 with some great storage would be a SWEET airplane. I would buy one!!!!

Last edited:
Me too

I've often though of a single seat RV-4. My idea was to have a -3
canopy and build a cover over the back seat area. So that when you
opened the canopy, you could then open the back cover (on the same
hinge) and have all that space for stuff. Easily converted back to tandem with
a -4 canopy installed. Just a dream so far.....kinda like a little Spitfire
:)

Love it!

I think it's a great idea. More baggage space too. Love the idea of reclining the seat a bit. That would make it a comfortable long distance flyer. (long EZ still the best for that) You could even clip the wing a bit (like the harmon) without increasing pattern speeds. Good point about the spar hitting the calfs though.
DM

bbq-ing chicken, but. . .

So, I have a whole chicken on the bbq (grill if you're from Texas :D). So, I'll be brief. I don't think I would need to move the seat that far back. . . it's been awhile since I have been in a -4, but I think about 2 to 3 inches would put the joint of my knee right at the spar. . . laid back just a little. . . similar to the long-ez or the Lancair's. . . I'm ordering -4 plans on Monday.

hey ya that looks like a extra 260.but a realy good idea and u can go the route of the hr2 and make the wing shorter and put the ribs closer togeather:)

I like the idea...

I have been thinking about a single seat RV-4 for some time but I figured everyone would think I was crazy. Well, maybe I am crazy... I think a light 4 single seater would be everything the 3 is plus room for a little heavier pilot and bags. No clipped wings for me, I love having the slow part of the envelope available.

Wow. . . Amos. . .

I have been thinking about a single seat RV-4 for some time but I figured everyone would think I was crazy. Well, maybe I am crazy... I think a light 4 single seater would be everything the 3 is plus room for a little heavier pilot and bags. No clipped wings for me, I love having the slow part of the envelope available.

You have been a member since 2005 and this is your first post. . . on my thread? cool!:D

No clipped wings. . . but I would like Rocket Fuel Tanks. . . :p

2005?

I thought it had been longer than that! Actually, I sold my partially completed 8 back in 2001. First someone broke into the hanger and stole all my tools and then my new business was short of cash. I have been thinking about giving it another shot.

ya i would like some slow flight abilitys to and but if u cliped the wings it would go faster

Last edited:
So, I have a whole chicken on the bbq (grill if you're from Texas :D). So, I'll be brief. I don't think I would need to move the seat that far back. . . it's been awhile since I have been in a -4, but I think about 2 to 3 inches would put the joint of my knee right at the spar. . . laid back just a little. . . similar to the long-ez or the Lancair's. . . I'm ordering -4 plans on Monday.

Pretty sure the front seat is mostly ahead of the spar. As I recall the pilots tailbone sits just ahead of the spar. There will be a big domino effect with this change. Control stick and linkage geometry being one. If you've built a 4 before it might be doable, first time around I wouldn't recommend it.
ymmv
Tom

You can do as you like but you might in the future wish you had that second seat. My -4 has the pilot seat moved back 1.5 or 2? don?t remember and I still took a 6?4? 200lb passenger the other day, I have exactly what you want solo but I can still take a passenger, solo with 200hp and an MT prop it goes very well, just like a single seat fighter, but I can still share the experience when I want to. Do what you want but think first. Will I ever have friends, wife, kids, grand kids that you would like to share a flight with, maybe yes, maybe not?

Hi Jason, its neat we seem to have some similar ideas here, in terms of keeping it light and simple. I 100% agree not to chop the wing. It doesn't do much for the top end up high, but does definitely hurt stall speed.

Being a former 4 builder/owner I know even with a light nose, the 4 balances more forward in the CG envelope when solo. It balances toward the rear of the CG envelope with 200 lbs in the back seat.

With that in mind, how about designing your plane to balance right in the middle of the envelope with just you in there? Figure the pilot as a "movable weight" and work up the position you'd have to be in to get the CG right where you want it. I'd guess that'd be 18" or so behind where the front seat is now. The panel will move back the same amount, and now you'll have room for a forward baggage compartment. This effectively extracts some extra utility in exchange for giving up the back seat.

That will probably put your feet near, or maybe just ahead of the wing spar. Fine, we'll work around that: floor mount the rudder pedals, and put them just ahead of and above the spar.

Now if you don't like the idea of your feet being above your seat, you can elevate the seat enough to get that where you want it. Also better taxi visibility if you raise the seat a little. Finally, get a custom canopy blown for the new cockpit, and tip/or slide it at your option.

Just a few ideas & having fun with it...