Tom Martin

Well Known Member
One of the first questions I get when discussing my airplane is what did it cost. Typically the person rolls their eyes and you see the "is this guy crazy?" look when you give an approximate cost.
There are not that many airplane owners and few airplane builders in our society but there are thousands and thousands of folks that own big motorhomes, boats or cottages.

At our local airshow this past June I had a couple of our local RVs on display and had the following sign posted in front of the aircraft.
We all know that a 10 year old boat or motor home is worth next to nothing but a ten year old airplane is just getting broken in!
I know I am preaching to the choir, but our passion needs more followers, and we have to continue to demonstrate what good value we get from our aircraft.

2wel1dl.jpg

Agreed.

I usually tell people it cost as much as a new diesel truck, then ask what the trade in value will be in 10 years.

A matter of perspective.

Good perspective - my neighbor who owns an RV sales business asked and when I told him his eyebrows went up. I then asked what a midrange motor home cost and he said, about the same. After discussing the utility, range, and resale, he understood completely!

So - cost per mile is less and fun per mile is waaaaay better!

A nice new pickup truck costs more than I have in my 9A. Granted it isn't a tricked-out showplane, but still a way better way to spend $, IMHO!

Chis

Same here Chris. I have a G3X Touch - 2 screens, new O320, Catto 3 blade, and full interior. I shopped well and got a screaming deal on my engine so I am in at a great price! I am looking for a new truck and can't believe the prices!!

A nice new pickup truck costs more than I have in my 9A. Granted it isn't a tricked-out showplane, but still a way better way to spend $, IMHO!

Chis

A sizable sail boat will cost as much as an RV.

So will an SUV plus small trailer.

So will a camp in the woods - probably more

I have an RV (for sale). 31' foot long with no wings... Never flown but wish it would. Out of my yard.

Its a toy hauler. Worth a fraction what I originally paid for it.

Now my RV-8, that was money well spent! She stays inside when I'm not playing with her.