prkaye

Well Known Member
If one is going to buy a Lyc for an RV, I am aware of 5 options:

1) buy a new Lyc through Van's OEM pricing
2) buy an experimental Lyc "clone" from somewhere like Penn Yan, or Aerosport
3) buy an overhauled engine from an overhaul shop
4) buy a used engine with some time left before overhaul
5) buy a run-out engine and overhaul it (or have it overhauled).

I'd like to see some opinions of the real cost differences between these options. Clearly a new engine costs more than a used engine, but if a used engine needs to be overhauled in 1000 hours (instead of 2000hrs for a new engine) you have to account for that in the cost. Buying a used engine may also have some increased risk. As for overhauling an engine, I've heard that even if you do the work yourself, it still costs in the neighbourhood of $10K for parts.

What about option (4)? How much does one typically pay for a used engine that has just been overhauled by a professional "overhaul shop"? Where are these shops? Does this come out to be significantly cheaper in the long-run than buying a new experimental engine?

My general philosophy as a consumer is that there is never a "free lunch", and that buying a used engine probably doesn't really save much in the long-run (when you factor decreased service life of the engine)... am I quite wrong on this?

A couple of thoughts

There is the three year warranty some of the clone manufacturers are putting on new clone engines.

Purely from some of the horror stories I have read it will cost about $18k for an overhauld but a new clone with FI and C/S will be about 21.5k. For me that made the decision easy.

I see no benefit in buying a new "genuine" Lycoming...Same parts more money as the clones and the clones are arguably better.

FWIW

Frank
7a Mattituck IO360

Well, I'm right in the middle of that at the moment and was faced with the same exact dillema. So, the route I chose to go was:

Buy a used/core (for $5K). I lucked out and after some searching found a pretty good 360 wide deck core with 500SNEW on it, already setup for C/S and including accessories. Take some searching but can be done.

Bought 4 brand new cylinder (currently go for about $850-895 on the open market): $3580

Have the crank polished (needed nothing else), cam polished (needed nothing else) and the case mag'd/yellow tagged: $750.00 +/-

Have the Rods/Rocker Arms rebushed & balanced:$200 +/-

New Bearings, Seals, etc..: $350+/-

So now add in a few accessories (like a little alternator, etc..) and everything else I'll now literally have a new engine for about $10-$12K.

I don't know how you could spend $10K on parts alone, unless you have to replace a crank or something - which if you're carefull with finding a good core should't be a problem!

Sure there are those who say you can buy a new one for $22K, but think about it...that extra $10-$12K either completely pays for a prop, or buys a lot of other toys. Or, you can spend some of that money on performance upgrades such as a nice port/polish job on the cylinders, a custom cam profile/grind, static & dynamic balancing of the mass roatating parts, etc...(which is what I've chosen to do with some of the money). Mine will be new too and every bit as good as a clone....with a few performance upgrades along with way!

I wish more people wouldn't just dismiss the "overhauling it yourself" theory just becaus they "heard" someone else spent $18K on an overhaul. Those stories are 99% from certified guys who had to buy certified stuff and pay a certified shop to overhaul the engine. There is NO REASON is should cost you anywhere close to that to do it yourself. Heck, if you went with overhauled cyl's, you could save another couple/few grand and probably come in under $10 for a darned good and perfectly fine engine. It's not hard to do, nor time consuming. It took me last weekend a total of 4 hrs to completely dissasemble the engine down to the split case, and an hour later the crank/cam/rods were in a box packed and ready to be shipped (the engine was flying on a plane 2 weeks prior)!

Anyway, I just want to re-iterate that the factory new and clones are a great solution. But, for those of us that are either cash flow poor, or just want to save a few pennies there is no good reason not to save yourself $10K (or spend it on a nicer prop, interior, avionics, etc..) over a new one. Mattituck, Aerosport, Barret, ECI, Superior, et.al do phenemenal work and are a great value, but don't discount doing it the other way. Due to all the clones on the market, it's really driven down the price of cores...you shouldn't have to pay more than $5K for a pretty good one if you do some looking.

Just my 2 cents as usual....I've done a number of these and every time I enjoy looking for other ways to spend that $10K I've saved!

Cheers,
Stein.

StenAir, thanks for those figures. If I can really save $10K, that's a VERY stron incentive to go that route! I assume you have some expertise with engines though... what about for a guy like me who has never done more than an oil change on his own car??

By the way, what does the "core" consist of? If you get a "core", what else do you need to complete the engine?

Last edited:
prkaye said:
... what about for a guy like me who has never done more than an oil change on his own car??

I have a RV-6 friend who rebuild an O-320 himself. He has roughly $6000 in the overhaul(including core). He is a retired school teacher, but figured I built the plane, I can build the engine too. (He had help from an A&P).

i had and 0 320 with conical mounts @1550 tt from a crop duster and james, ken and patty and others (A&ps) urged me to get a different engine due to the conical mounts,150 hp, and the o/h cost.. i would have had to pay 5 for the core. it had sat for 20+ years. so i got the superior. Under stand the 0 320 was a narrow deck without any a/d compliance. ,mags carb and other parts looked very poor.

Below is a parts list for an O-320 that I would use for a minimum overhaul. I used an actual overhaul to generate the list and deleted parts that I thought were out of the ordinary and only necessary less then 50% of the time. This list is at list price. I would expect to pay approximately 25-30 percent less, for the parts depending on where you get them. Maybe a bit more than that discount, is also possible too.
This engine didn't need an updated crank gear or oil pump impellers, both of which are required by AD note, if they haven't been updated already. Needing both would add about 650.00 to the parts cost. Also didn't need a crankshaft grind either and the ID of the crank passed SB 505 which is also an AD.
It also assumes that no gears are worn and need to be replaced. Gears are very expensive and can change the price of the parts very quickly.
It also does not include the purchase price of the core engine.
Sorry about the formatting, I hope it comes out readable for you.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

Material : Quantity List Ext List

LYK 05K21100 Cylinder Assy 4 1,046.504 186.00
LYC 72566 Gear - Starter Ring 1 154.09 154.09
ECI CASE-1 Ovh Crankcase yl 1 1,377.001,377.00
MGS D2JWD Gasket Set O-320-D2J WD 1 150 150
LYC 78027 Bolt - Connecting Rod 8 31.36 250.88
LYC LW-12186 Nut - Connecting Rod Bolt 8 3.84 30.72
LYC 18M19388 Bearing - Connecting Rod 8 18.18 145.44
LYC 18D19394 Bearing - Crankshaft 4 30.45 121.8
LYC 18A19441 Bearing - CS Front Main 2 155.45 310.9
LYC STD-1211 Plug - Expansion 2.00 dia 1 2.22 2.22
LYC STD-2246 Bolt .3125-24 X 1.00 Long 1 15.09 15.09
LYC 05K22720 Kit - 4 Cyl Cam & Tappet 1 1,636.35 1,636.35
LYC LW-12892 Button - Rocker Shaft 8 3.82 30.56
LSL 69603 Hose 1.75id 2.188od (3) 4 4.64 18.56
LSL STD-2180 Hose .38idX1.81 Long (8) 4 2.91 11.64
LYC 1028-B Ball - Check .6875 dia 1 3.15 3.15
LYC 61084 Spring - Oil Press. Relief 1 6.64 6.64
CSP CH48110- Oil Filter 1 27.48 27.48
LYC 53E22144 Valve Asm - Temp Control 1 299.91 299.91
SEI K-4527-3 Ign. Kit & UREM38E Plugs 1 1,850.00 1,850.00
PCU 10-5217R Reman Carb MA-4SPA 1 1,241.65 1,241.65
SKY 149-NL Lt Wt Starter 1 500 500
LYC 72569 Baffle Asm - Intercylinder 2 44.55 89.1
LYC LW-14798 Gage Asm - Oil Level 1 126.77 126.77
LYC 74637 Bushing - Rocker Valve 8 4.27 34.16
LYC LW-13923 Bushing - Connecting Rod 4 2.93 11.72
MEH QTS Oil, Mineral 8 1.4 11.2
MEH MISC Off Inventory Hardware 1 100 100
Total 12,743.03

Crank gear mod if necessary: 150.00
Oil pump impellers if necessary: around 400.00 at lsit

On more option

prkaye said:
If one is going to buy a Lyc for an RV, I am aware of 5 options:

1) buy a new Lyc through Van's OEM pricing
2) buy an experimental Lyc "clone" from somewhere like Penn Yan, or Aerosport
3) buy an overhauled engine from an overhaul shop
4) buy a used engine with some time left before overhaul
5) buy a run-out engine and overhaul it (or have it overhauled).

Don't forget number 6..

6) Buy and ECI engine kit of parts and assemble it yourself....

I'm leaning to this to get 180 HP...

Anyone want to buy an O-320-E2G first run core - stored well in a dry part of the country for 10 years - dynafocal and wide deck? I also have the replacement sump and intake tubes needed for a nosewheel installation available....

gil in Tucson

Again... what is a "core" ? Forgive my ignorance of the terminology...what does the core not include?

thanks alot gil

az_gila said:
Don't forget number 6..

6) Buy and ECI engine kit of parts and assemble it yourself....

I'm leaning to this to get 180 HP...

Anyone want to buy an O-320-E2G first run core - stored well in a dry part of the country for 10 years - dynafocal and wide deck? I also have the replacement sump and intake tubes needed for a nosewheel installation available....

gil in Tucson
now you tell me :rolleyes: :D

the engine

prkaye said:
Again... what is a "core" ? Forgive my ignorance of the terminology...what does the core not include?
the core is a run out engine. some may include accessories, some may not.either way they will likely need o/h as well

just order one of the clones superior or eci are super and several improvements over the original. superior now includes roller tappets

Last edited:
prkaye said:

Basically, the main components of the engine, that are able to be refurbished instead of replaced. Most folks dont consider mags, generators, starters, or carbs to be part of an engine core------they are in fact cores themselves, as they can be rebuilt.

Another way of looking at it is basic engine less bolt on accessories, used/worn, but not badly broken.

Major components usually kept in the rebuild process are ; crankshaft, rods, crankcase, accessory case, camshaft, lifters-push rods-rockers, gears, oil pump. These all need to be inspected to determine if they are usable as is, usable after re-working, or need to be replaced.

Some things are always---or at least SHOULD be replaced----gaskets, seals, certain nuts and bolts, etc.

An engine removed from a flying plane, (say a flight school operation,) due to TBO, instead of mechanical problems, might be sold off as a "Core". Just one example.

Hope this helps.

Mike

prkaye said:
The core is the actual engine you will be overhauling. It could be complete with all accessories or not have them or only some. It could be damaged for a prop strike or decayed from inactivity or in as removed condition with time left to overhaul and useable as is. Basically the core is an engine. It can come in any variety of conditions, all of which will affect the price of the core.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

Its good to be a homebuilder

The 12K overhaul is what it is. It really is the same for an "experimental engine" or certified engine, since labor for reconditioning and individual parts cost about the same. The only thing we have going for us is we can do the tear down and assembly.

When it comes to buying a clone or clone engine kit (ECI) we are very fortunate, where buying new is almost competitive with re-build of an old core. The poor certified owner can not go out an buy new engine for $21,000. If they can do an exchange for a Factory Re manufactured or Factory New engine, but it's way more than we pay.

Even Van's Hartzell and Lycoming list price is way below what the normal list price is.

However overhaul kind of levels the playing field, since individual parts and labour for reconditioning cranks, rods, cases and accessories is the same, experimental or certified engine.

I went with a core and rebuild and glade I did but I payed less than 1/2 of the $5,000 core that has been mentioned. With a A&P/AI friend helping me tear it down, send parts out for cleaning, inspection, repair and reconditioning I saved a bundle. Lets say $10,000 total with no ignition, $12,000 with dual electronic ignition.

With that said if buying today, unless a core fell into my lap cheap, I would go new clone, either one of two ways, a ECI engine kit and assemble it my self or Mattituck. Mattituck is the way to go in my opinion if you are not a do it yourself'ers. The advantage is pro-assembly, support, repuation and warrenty for a few grand. I have not worked out the price difference, but think of it as a Quick Build option, which is a good value for what you get time and quality wise.

Last edited:
Shipping

gmcjetpilot said:
...... send parts out for cleaning, inspection, repair and reconditioning I saved a bundle. Lets say $10,000 total with no ignition, $12,000 with dual electronic ignition.

George sorts of mentions one extra expense... that is shipping.

Not much of the inspection of yelow tagging can be done locally in most areasof the country. So you have to package and ship fairly heavy items around the US, and pay for shipping two ways. With sturdy packing and insurance of expen$ive parts, this can add up to quite a measureable amount.... :(

With a clone kit.... it's a single shipping charge one way for all - I was quoted approx. $250 for an ECI box of parts to AZ.

gil in Tucson

ECI Build-it-Yourself Option

az_gila said:
With a clone kit.... it's a single shipping charge one way for all - I was quoted approx. $250 for an ECI box of parts to AZ.

Gil,

Just for curiousity's sake, what price are you paying for your box of ECI parts, for what configuration, and from whom?

George

(Just tested 2nd, and last fuel tank ever, and it passed :D )

Buy the new clone engine

I did a lot of research on this and suspect Stein got really lucky finding a core like that. My experience has been that most people are looking for around $8k for a 360. 320's are more easily come by.

If you then decide that you want injection, after market ignition systems, constant speed, crankshafts without lightning holes in the flange etc, things get even more difficult.

I made the decision early on that I wanted an engine to the same standard as a certified unit, new jugs, run on a test stand etc. After spending time talking to a number of engine builders I came to the conclusion that there was very little upside in me rebuilding my own engine and a whole lot of downside. People have been lucky, others have been very unlucky.

Granted if all you want is a carb, mags and a fixed pitch prop you would probably save some money and it may well be worthwhile if you get a great deal on a core, but that was not where I was at.

I have also heard more horror stories than I care to remember about people building their own engine. If you get it wrong it has the potential to cost you a great deal of money.

Richard

A.E.R.O.

grjtucson said:
Gil,

Just for curiousity's sake, what price are you paying for your box of ECI parts, for what configuration, and from whom?

George

(Just tested 2nd, and last fuel tank ever, and it passed :D )

George... around $13,000 with no accesories. Little difference between O-360 and O-320 -- apparently O-340 is more since it is somewhat of a unique crank. In my case I have already bought most of the accessories needed, except for the carb. - the smaller carb. will go with the O-320-E2G core...

From the ECI web site... call to see exact options and extras...

A.E.R.O. Inc. -- IL -- 800-362-3044 -- Jesse Robinson (Ext 228)

gil in Tucson

Here's my price list

Since we're sharing numbers, here's mine;

Bought a used O-360-A1D with 1660 hrs since Lycoming factory reman. Tore it down myself, shipped the case to Divco and everything else to ECI. Everything checked out fine, yellow tagged and the crankshaft was good (yea!). I then had a nearby engine shop reassemble it for me.

Costs?
$6000 for the core.
$1545 bottom end stuff overhauled.
$3147 cylinders overhauled, Cerminil, new pistons/valves
$1936 for misc stuff; gaskets/vernatherm/fuel pump/bearings, hardware, etc.

$12,628 Grand total for the base engine, no accessories. Add $1500 labor for reassembly and I'm up to $14,128. I was able to sell the original prop governor, alternator and starter on ebay and reclaimed a couple hundred bucks.

John

Last edited:
I'll take $4000

rwtrwtau said:
I did a lot of research on this and suspect Stein got really lucky finding a core like that. My experience has been that most people are looking for around $8k for a 360. 320's are more easily come by.

Granted if all you want is a carb, mags and a fixed pitch prop you would probably save some money and it may well be worthwhile if you get a great deal on a core, but that was not where I was at.
Richard

O-320-E2G - $4000 for core no access. - but will include carb. About 1900 hrs. first run from new. Was removed for a 180 HP upgrade on a Grumman.

gil in Tucson

I received my ECI kit recently.. it's still in boxes.. Jesse at A.E.R.O. was great to deal with... right around 13 for O-360-A1A1N (that's constant speed model)... and his accessories are priced very, very competitively.
shipping was 250.

it didn't make sense to me to buy a core for 8-10k..

Radomir said:
I received my ECI kit recently.. it's still in boxes.. Jesse at A.E.R.O. was great to deal with... right around 13 for O-360-A1A1N (that's constant speed model)... and his accessories are priced very, very competitively.
shipping was 250.

it didn't make sense to me to buy a core for 8-10k..

That's the point....you DON'T spend $8-10K for a core....or the whole exercise is a waste. If you can't find a good core for $6K or less, then buying new is better - period.

I heard somebody mention shipping. I just shipped my crank, cam, rods, etc.. in a box from MN to CA for overhaul, new profile/cam grind, mass balance, etc...cost...$18.00 UPS Ground. It'll be the same coming back. Even though I get shipping rates a lot cheaper than most, it's still not much money.

Anyway, like I said...if you can do it on the cheap then great. If not, then buying new or kit is the only way to go! I looked and reserached the kits, new engines, etc... and this is the best option for me at the moment - actually, if I hadn't stumbled upon this core, I'd have bought the ECI kit and gone that way.

Oh...I almost forgot. My "old" RV6 (the black/green one) is still flying behind an engine that came off a flying Pitts when the hanger fell on it back in 1998....now 1200hrs later and it's still going strong! I beat the **** out of it because I figure it'll need a top one of these years and I more than got my $9K's value out of it over the past 5 years of flying! Don't discount an already running 1000hr "ish" engine either. The likelyhood is you'll get a lot of flying out of it before it needs any major work.

Cheers,
Stein.

ECI

About these ECI kit engines... if you go that route, after adding all the accessories, how does the price of this compare with a new experimental lyc clone? Also, how much expertise is required to put one of these things together??

The quote I had was for all accessories and it came out to 16.6... then you need to have it assembled... that cost will vary.. from a few beers if you find a friendly A/P that will help you, to about 3+k if you have it assembled by one of major shops.. or anywhere inbetween. So, you'll be saving some over a clone one way or another (equivalent clone is 21+k). I would NOT recommend attempting assembly without close supervision from someone with experience... as easy as it is to assemble these relatively simple engines. If you decide to do it yourself, you'll also need a few tools and supplies. so add a few hundred there..

very helpful

this has been and still is a VERY helpful topic for me. I am getting ready to decide on engine route and have all the same questions that have been asked. Thanks again to all you who are asking and all who are "educating" with your own experiences....

jeff h
austintx

lsu-rv said:
this has been and still is a VERY helpful topic for me. I am getting ready to decide on engine route and have all the same questions that have been asked. Thanks again to all you who are asking and all who are "educating" with your own experiences....

jeff h
austintx
Second this! Even for someone who overhauled their own engine, I've learned some things. The info is particularly helpful since I'm looking at another overhaul in the next few months.

Last, I have been wondering where some of these prices for new, newly overhauled and new kit engines come from (seemingly too high). It's just plain ol' markup. Justified? Don't know, unless just high demand.

I still have a couple of openings for the TMX engine assembly workshop scheduled for 12-9, if any of you are interested. I know Radomir is planning on coming. If you are interested in attending, email me privately mahlon_russell at teledyne.com and I will send the information to you. It's free so it tain't a bad deal if you can get to 21N in New York for that weekend.
Good Luck,
Mahlon

I'll add another data point of someone who overhauled their own engine and saved loads of money. $3500 core and including new oil filter adaptor, e-mag/p-mag, carburetor (used), alternator, and starter I was under $10k. I did use reconditioned cylinders to keep costs down and all parts were yellow tagged and in no need of work except lifter tappets.

You will need the following "extra" stuff that probably is not in your garage/hanger already:

Overhaul manual
Part's manual (for your engine, just as important as overhaul manual)
Pliobond (few bucks at auto part store)
Loctite 515 (or similar RTV product) $20 or so, I had to order it online
100% "00" silk thread (couple bucks at local sewing type store)
Cylinder wrenches (good to have anyways) $75 or so for the full set
Some sort of engine stand (I build my own somewhat similar to the one on the weblink above)
Good in*lb and ft*lb torque wrenches (torque things between 75 in*lbs and 60 ft*lbs)
Ring compressor (nice to have, can be done without)

Last edited:
Test Run?

For those of you who have built up your own engines - did you do any kind of break-in or test run prior to putting it on your airframe? Are there places that you can take your freshly built engine to and have them run it for a while to check everything out?

Brandon

Sorry, but I have to agree with Scott. Just do a little research, go at it like you are building the airplane, ie., one step at a time and you can build your own engine. It is not rocket science. If I could build an engine for 3K........I'd be giving up my CPA practice and work out of my basement.......OH, my bad, I work out of my house anyway:) Seriously, I always show that same website to my kit buyers. Great starting point to start seeing the process, now just process what you see and get going. You don't have to spend a fortune. Stein and I talked about this at length last week via phone.

Don't fall into the misplaced conception this is not something you can do. It is probably, in my opinion, the biggest misconception in the entire building process. If you know this is something you don't want, or can't do, don't do it. If you are on the fence, at least do some homework on it. I bet you will surprise yourself. Get the parts manual and overhaul manual (all over the place on ebay) and a set of cyl. wrenches. You will have to grind down a couple tools you already have but there will not by ANY large tool purchases to make. Yes, a nice snazzy ring compressor that falls off the rods is nice but not required. Go with the split oil seal on the front and you don't need the high dollar one time use seal tool and a nice set of inch pound and foot pound torque wrenches and I can't think a any other tool you will need that you don't have anyway.

OH, and by the way............it's fun.

Scott DellAngelo said:
I'll add another data point of someone who overhauled their own engine and saved loads of money.
As for building the engine, it is SIMPLE. Get the parts manual and overhaul manual (these two are ABSOLUTELY mandatory)

http://brian76.mystarband.net/SuperiorTextPics.htm

Remember that the only people that seem to think that there is some voodoo to it and think it is something you cannot and/or should not do most likely have not ever done it.

More myths and misconceptions of building

I could not agree more, building an engine up, Lycoming in particular is not hard or especially difficult. With that said I understand the reluctance or FEAR in building an engine that will carry you aloft. I understand, even though I build several small block Chevy's in my time, I was hesitant to overhaul my O-360.

Well I did as suggested. I got a overhaul manual and Sacramento Sky Ranch's "Lyc/Cont Engineering Manual" and most important got some advise and help. A hanger neighbor was an A&P and just went thru a Lyc for friend's Piper. I saw what he did. With his help I tore my engine down, ship'ed parts out for rework, bought ECI parts and put it together. Done deal. Now there are gotchas and you can't be ham fist-ed, but it's not brain surgery. Also tools are no big deal, but don't use an el-cheap-o un-calibrated torque wrench for example. There are more specialized skills and tools for things like overhauling the heads, new valve seats, lapping the valve, honing and so on. However most just buy new jug assemblies (w/ valves, piston, rings) or send them out for rework. Since new is really pretty cheap v. rework, new is attractive. Do it yourself rework is possible and if you have time, tools and skill you can save money.

Bottom line get some help from someone who has gone thru the steps. Even if you pay for help, the education is worth it. When you negotiate help make sure you decide on max price. Some times hired help can get out of hand by the hour. The idea is not have them do it all while you watch but just be there when needed or for critical steps, like taking off the first jug, splitting the case and so on.

There are some techniques and things to check, but its not top secret info. Attention to detail, knowlege, clean work place and patients will result in excellent results. Lycoming gets guff for being antiquated. Well its build the way it is, like a brick outhouse and very simple for a reason, reliability and maintainability. These engines where designed to be field repairable and overhaul-able.

The info is out there. I saved about $8,000 total going the used engine/overhaul route v. new clone.

Last edited:
gmcjetpilot said:
Also tools are no big deal, but don't use an el-cheap-o un-calibrated torque wrench for example.
This is a perfect example of what scares me about building my own a/c engine. I read somewhere (maybe Mattitucks site). That you don't just torque the rod bolts but measure the actual stretch of the bolt itself. I've been a backyard mechanic for a long time on cars and never heard of such a thing. I've done a pretty good job as a kid in the past putting junk yard parts together in an automobile and going 1000's of miles with no problems. But I'm very humbled by the whole RV glider thing.
My RV 8 buddy tells me I'm getting too much info. But here I go rebuilding my own 0-320 with help of course, ready or not.
Jim
7A - loving this thread and anything about Lyc. engines

I guess its Halloween, did not mean to scare you

RV7AAAAAAA said:
gmcjetpilot said:
Also tools are no big deal, but don't use an el-cheap-o un-calibrated torque wrench for example.
This is a perfect example of what scares me about building my own a/c engine. I read somewhere (maybe Mattitucks site). That you don't just torque the rod bolts but measure the actual stretch of the bolt itself. I've been a backyard mechanic for a long time on cars and never heard of such a thing. I've done a pretty good job as a kid in the past putting junk yard parts together in an automobile and going 1000's of miles with no problems. But I'm very humbled by the whole RV glider thing.
My RV 8 buddy tells me I'm getting too much info. But here I go rebuilding my own 0-320 with help of course, ready or not.
Jim
7A - loving this thread and anything about Lyc. engines
I hear you and it was not my intent to scare you, but I know what you mean. I felt the same way, oh my gosh what secret is there? :confused: :eek:

I'm not sure what your saying about measuring the bolt stretch. I know what preload is and yes the bolt does stretch a fixed amount, and yes you could measure it. They skyranch book will address this if it has merit, but I don't recall. Get the book.

Yes PRE LOAD or bolt stretch is critical. This gives the bolts fatigue life. However torque (as far as I recall) is an acceptable (and most common) method to get the right stretch. The "SNAP" type torque wrench may not be suitable for the torque and hold method.

The OH manual explains all limits and everything you need to know about assembly. If there is a "stretch" spec it is there. If it is not and only a torque limit is given, that is what you need to know. I'm just saying an old rusty torque wrench that has not been calibrated is a no no.

I assure you its NOT a big deal to get proper "stretch". It's very simple to tighten (torque) a nut on a bolt. The main players are the tool, thread lube and technique.

Measuring the stretch is required for some designs but not the 320/360/540 as far as I recall. That method has advantages. I only built one Lyc, (O360) with some good help and that was a few years ago. It may be a good double check, but if it is not in the Lyc OH manual or skyranch manual, it's not a must.

I do remember off the top of my head the Skyranch book recommends holding the torque (30 seconds). Meaning when going to the final torque value, go slow in one motion and hold it there for a period of time, just don't let it go when you hear the beep (audio/light torque wrenches are cool BTW). I have to re-read the book to get the details. Skyranch has a section just on Lyc rods. There are also Lyc service letters / bulletins that address assembly.

The rod bolt's are probably the most critical, followed by the case bolts, than cylinder base bolts. They need care and attention. Bottom line, its just a NUT to tighten. Ths stuff is farm tractor technology, not the space shuttle heat tile's. :rolleyes:

The Skyranch book talks about common errors and gotchas made during engine assembly and how to avoid. Some of the mistakes are made by the manufacture! I guess they where Monday engines.

That reminds me, with the level of attention you will give your own hands on rebuild, even if inexperienced, you're likely to do a good job. Someone torquing a 100 bolts a day, everyday, statistically may make a mistake at some point. Just something to think about. Care and attention, coupled with knowledge goes along way in overcoming lack of experience. You are going to sweat over every bolt and do a proper job of it.

Truth be told there are probably many engines with improper bolt torques that fly to TBO. It's just a matter of fatigue limits and margins. The PRE LOAD or stretch is a GOOD GOOD thing for bolt fatigue. Even improper torque may not cause catastrophic failure, but you will loose your margin. Think about the bolts, crank and rods, they look like steel work for a bridge. Also this is the reason rod bolts are not reused. They are trashed during OH. Even after being torqued once, you may need to trash them. You burnished the threads and subsequent re-torquing might be off.

You really have try to NOT to follow procedures to blow it. These engines where made to be field repairable by A&P's.

Here is a Halloween story to scare you. Bolt torque (bolt stretch) is very dependant on thread lubricant. There was a case, I believe Continental, where someone at the factory decided to switched thread lube without telling anyone. It caused the bolt pre-torque (stretch) to go wacky, causing real problems. This was the manufacture! Again NO BIG DEAL, Lycoming specifies the proper thread lube. It's not motor oil. Also you keep the thread clean and dry and unpainted until ready to lube and install. You can not have paint on the cylinder base and base studs. The info is there, just follow it. Get the OH manual, a genuine one goes for about $50 I think. I see them for $20 sometimes on eBay. Not sure if they are copies. The one I have is in a three ring binder and has glossy print pages.

KNOWLEGE is power. Engine tear down and build up is not harder than riveting. No rocket scientest credentials are needed. Like riveting you will need some special tools, but if you have hairy knuckles that drag on the floor when you walk, you're well suited to torque a nut. :D (mechanic joke). Seriously a trained eye is good for all phases of a rebuild, tear down, inspection and assembly, but its all explained in the manual. Again its not a bad idea to have someone help, a second set of eyes, but take the time to read the references.

Even if you don't ever rebuild an engine, I recommend the Sky ranch manual. It is technical, but it's so well written anyone can understand it and get a lot out of it, including operations, performance, maintenance and trouble shooting. Even if you get someone to rebuild the engine for you, this book should still be required reading. You'll have lots of questions to ask your potential re-builders to determine what they're going to doing and how. You may be surprised how little some engine builders know. Mattituck DOES know what they're doing. If you don't want the joy of building your engine, send it to Mattituck, can't go wrong. Clearly a pro rebuild has advantages, not the least of which is warranty.

Take a deep breath, get the Skyranch engineering manual for sure and a Lyc OH manual and read them. The Lyc overhaul manual is dry and just the bare min text, step by step, data and limits, but it has tons of info. You can't overhaul an engine without it. Even if you decide not to rebuild your own engine, the manuals and worth having.

You're not rebuilding for convenience; you're rebuilding your engine to learn. You will just happen to save money, but that's just the frosting on the cake. Plus it give you an excuse to buy more tools. :D

Last edited:
Some Lycoming rod bolts and nuts are torqued to a torque specification and some are torqued to a stretch. This is done by bringing the fasteners to a given torque and measuring the length, then continuing to tighten them, until the proper stretch of the bolt, is achieved. The measurement is precise and is done with special tooling or a micrometer. This is clearly stipulated in the overhaul manual.
Service Instructions 1307B, 1450, 1213,1458C, 1469 and SB 363 have information about rod bolts and nuts, their application, identification and installation. The information on these publications may not be in the overhaul or parts manual data.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk.?

Last edited:
mahlon_r said:
Some Lycoming rod bolts and nuts are torqued to a torque specification and some are torqued to a stretch. This is done by bringing the fasteners to a given torque and measuring the length,
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk.?

That is the key here, SOME are stretch some are torque. One other point with these rods nuts. When you get your rods back from the shop they will be held together by their original nuts and bolts. This assembly is a unit, do not mix and match. Buy new torque bolts (specify torque when you buy) and SINGLE use nuts. These nuts are just that, SINGLE use. Torque them down to the specs. and move to the next line item. My point is, just don't let misconceptions stop you........stretch is one of them.

Have fun and save money at the same time........now how many times have you said that while building:)

gmcjetpilot said:
I hear you and it was not my intent to scare you, but I know what you mean. I felt the same way, oh my gosh what secret is there? :confused: :eek:

You're not scaring me at all. It's just the opposite you and everyone else on this forum are helping tremendously on this whole knowledge gathering process to pull this engine rebuild thing off. (knowing I still have to be careful with this info) and yes I have the Sky Ranch book.
I can feel that - 'Maybe I should have built the RV-9 for the lower engine out sink rate' feeling leaving me now. :) .
Jim

BlackRV7 said:
That is the key here, SOME are stretch some are torque. One other point with these rods nuts. When you get your rods back from the shop they will be held together by their original nuts and bolts. This assembly is a unit, do not mix and match. Buy new torque bolts (specify torque when you buy) and SINGLE use nuts. These nuts are just that, SINGLE use. Torque them down to the specs. and move to the next line item. My point is, just don't let misconceptions stop you........stretch is one of them.

Have fun and save money at the same time........now how many times have you said that while building:)

A/C Specialities sent me a quote of everything I may need for rebuild. Thought I just check off yes on the rod bolts/nuts, but you say (specify torque when you buy). I get it you're having fun trying to confuse me. Remember it's Halloween not Aprill Fool's Day. :D :confused:
Thanks Jim

Dana,
Just to be sure you and the others understand. Some 360 rods can only use stretch bolts and others torque bolts or stretch bolts. So you can't and shouldn't use torque bolts where stretch bolts are all that is called for. This varies with engine model within the 360 family and the P/N of the rods. It isn't as simple as just ordering and using torque bolts for any application. Normally, if you can use a torque bolt, you could use either a stretch or torque bolt in the application but if the rod calls for a stretch bolt you can?t use a torque bolt for that rod.
Good Luck,
Mahlon