diamond

Well Known Member
I'm curious how the cost of ownership and operation compares between a -9 and a -12. Let's split the question into ownership costs vs operational costs. For the sake of comparison, lets assume the -9 will be flown no faster than the -12. Also assume that the -9 carries a 160 hp engine. Assume both are burning mogas.

Factor in any differences in insurance costs, annual inspections, etc.

I'm curious how the cost of ownership and operation compares between a -9 and a -12. Let's split the question into ownership costs vs operational costs. For the sake of comparison, lets assume the -9 will be flown no faster than the -12. Also assume that the -9 carries a 160 hp engine. Assume both are burning mogas.

Factor in any differences in insurance costs, annual inspections, etc.

Hangar cost will be the same, insurance about the same, and condition inspection could be higher for the RV-12 depending on the way it is registered and whether or not the owner is qualified to do the inspection.

But in the end, it will pretty much be a wash.

Not to pick nits but there might be an issue burning mogas in a 160 hp Lycoming. Think you should consider a 150 hp (lower compression) Lycoming.

So maybe it comes down to whether one can burn mogas in the -9 or not? It seems this has been batted around a bit and I'm still unclear whether there is currently an engine of 160 hp status that is a legimate, manufacturer supported mogas burner. If not, is there likely to be a more legimate option in 3 years when I would be deciding on an engine? (if I decide on a -9)

Can I assume that the -12 running at 130 mph would have the same gph fuel consumption as a 160 hp Lyc or Aerosport or other comparable engine burning mogas and running at the same speed?

So maybe it comes down to whether one can burn mogas in the -9 or not? It seems this has been batted around a bit and I'm still unclear whether there is currently an engine of 160 hp status that is a legimate, manufacturer supported mogas burner. If not, is there likely to be a more legimate option in 3 years when I would be deciding on an engine? (if I decide on a -9)

Can I assume that the -12 running at 130 mph would have the same gph fuel consumption as a 160 hp Lyc or Aerosport or other comparable engine burning mogas and running at the same speed?

A lot of 160hp O-320 engines have safely run mogas for many years.

Your second question; More or less.......yes.