brian

Well Known Member
Does anyone on here recall what it cost to get the nose gear SB done on an older -6A? I understand that, on the older ones, the leg can't be modified and the leg has to go back to Van's so a new one can be match-drilled.

Any of you folks familiar with total cost for all this and turnaround time?

thanks,
brian

Don't know what "older" means but I sent mine (1997 vintage) back to Langair I think. Cost was not bad so I would contact them for details.

If your nose leg has a taper near the socket end, it is the OLD leg. see Vans SB 98-10-1. The fork thing came about on Nov -9-2007 service bullitons. If it has the taper, then send it in for a match drill on the NEW leg. Also, order the NEW fork.

If your nose leg has a taper near the socket end, it is the OLD leg. see Vans SB 98-10-1. The fork thing came about on Nov -9-2007 service bullitons. If it has the taper, then send it in for a match drill on the NEW leg. Also, order the NEW fork.

Thanks for the replies. I understand what needs to be done. What I'm asking about is the cost & turnaround time for the new match-drilled leg and new fork. I can call Van's Monday and ask them, but I was hoping to find out cost sooner than that.

thanks,
brian

found it

I knew the info I was looking for wasn't in the SB, but I was able to find it in an FAQ for the SB:

WD-630-1 fork $154.00
U-603-3X leg $194.00
Wd-631-PC collar $25.00
Match drill $75.00 (ship directly to Van?s Aircraft)
U-713C L&R $14.65 each

so it'll be about $500, plus shipping

on the -8A

that I fly, I bought everything new, including bolts, washers, nuts, and did not reuse anything, and then added the Matco axle system ---- so, about $800.00 total.

Drilling the new gear leg for the bottom nut cotter pin was the toughest part, and oh, by the way, the new gear leg comes unpainted/unpowder coated.

Is there a reason why the leg has to be replaced? I bought the die and cut the leg off and cut the threads while it was still on the plane. Everything worked fine. Is the new leg stronger? Been flying on it for over a year.

Last edited:
Is there a reason why the leg has to be replaced? I bought the die and cut the leg off and cut the threads while it was still on the plane. Everything worked fine. Is the new leg stronger? Been flying on it for over a year.

It's interesting that at least one other person did the SB in place. On my -7A project, with Eggenfellner engine frame, there was just no way I could ever get the nose gear leg out without removing the engine and frame completely, so I did it in place. The process ate up the first die (made in Japan), then the second die (made in USA) finished up the job easily.

Just for my curiosity, how long did it take you to rethread your gear leg with it still in your plane?

I have only heard details of one other person who I think took 4 hours to actually make the threads and they had it out of the plane.

how long it took

an hour or so in Feb, '08, after setting up a frame I made to hold the engine up, then removing the wheel & fork:

http://www.meyette.us/engineFeb08.htm#feb24

then about 4 hours total in March, 2008:

http://www.meyette.us/engineMar08.htm

plus probably the better part of $200 for the 2 dies it took to get the job done.

not something I'd recommend, except in cases like mine, where taking the leg out would be very difficult or impossible, but it can be done.

Last edited: