RV8R999

Well Known Member
As I near completion and final inspection I decided to add up all the receipts I kept during the build.

Total cost: $52,138.23 which does not include the cost of an engine since I had a brand new one from my previous project. The cost of that engine was $24,800 making the total cost of this project $76,938.23.

Superior was #1 in total $ spent @ $24,800
Van's was #2 - $24,169
Aircraft Spruce #3 - $14,500

Surprising to me was $4045.34 in shipping costs! WOW

So you have a baseline, my RV8 is equipped with Xp-O-360, FP wood prop, Dual Skyview 7", GNC 300XL, GTX330, Dynon D10A, HS-34, Dynon Auto Pilot, MD41, VP50, 4-1 exhaust, Todd Canopy, Stewart System Paint, dual infinity stick grips, LED NAV/Strobes, Halogen Landing/Taxi lights, Skybolt cowl system, Classic Aero interior...

I will NOT share this info with my wife :)

Close numbers

As I recall, at first flight I had about $72k in receipts. I purchased a used engine, which saved me a few bucks, and had a very basic vfr panel.
No paint, no interior.

This does not include tools or the hangar I built to build the project in. :)

As of now, the figure is quite a bit higher.

-9A costs

Well, since I have an appointment with the FSDO next month, I guess I must be about finished.

Trying to put some paint on it now. I'm getting better as I go but it'll be a work in progress for awhile:eek:

I have a used engine (450 hr SMOH), wood prop and a simple steam gauge panel

My wife bought the seats. My Dad gave me a Zaon MRX.

I've tracked it all on Quicken so I know what I have in the project.

Running a Quicken report just now - $44,623.46

That does not include tools or the hanger.

It won't be the prettiest bird (yet) but I think it should fly fine.

Dave
-9A
N514R

Wow

$44K for a 9a done? That is dirt cheap. You sure you bought the whole kit and arent missing the gear and canopy?How about wings? Avionics...you just doing the magnetic compass and handheld?? Good for you if you can get it flying for that. Even with a great engine deal, thats a great price. I didnt go crazy but certainly dont get to enjoy that cheap a bird. Enjoy.

-9A

Yup, complete, everything.

My panel:

Flight line radio & home made antenna
used transponder & Alt enc
Vans engine gauges
Mitchell tach
fuel computer
AS, VSI, ALT
AI & DG (used)
autopilot (Navaid)
2000C GPS
Airpath compass
ELT
Zaon MRX (gift from my Dad)
Classic Aero leather seats, stick boots & front floor mat (gift from my wife)

Engine:

Lycoming 0-320E2A (complete except I had to provide a vac pump & alternator - Honda) - $7k FOB my garage. The engine came off a flying Cherokee & was well documented (logs, ad compliance, etc). NOT a prop strike.

Sterba wood prop.

Paint & assorted chemicals which I'm having "fun" with now.

Will this thing even fly??:D

Dave