Phlyan Pan

Well Known Member
I just acquired an AEIO-360 that was factory rebuilt by Lycoming in 1992 and has been sitting in a basement in the original crate since that day. What would I expect to pay to have it inspected for airworthiness and repair anything that's out of spec? Obviously it's going to depend on what needs repairing but any ideas for a baseline? Like if nothing is wrong what's the minimum cost I should expect?

Was it pickled? Dessicant plugs? Find the cylinder with the open valve and look up into the exhaust port for rust. A borescope will reveal any rust on the cylinder walls.

IRAN - inspect/repair as necessary

Just had my engine IRAN by Eagle after the rocker boss failure. Total cost was $10k (ouch!), included new pistons & rings and the usual stuff inside the engine. Also included cylinder honing and an hour test stand. I would say minimum (nothing needing replacement) would have been at least $8k. Seemed expensive to me, but I've not had this sort of thing done before. I suspect a local shop would be cheaper but not sure by how much.

greg

I do not know how well it was pickled...the markings on the outside of the crate say it's prepared for storage for 6 months. (I think we missed that mark) I don't believe there are desiccant plugs but I haven't even opened the crate yet. I did put a dehumidifier (out of my gun safe) in the box through the inspection hole. I'm intending to resell this engine so I didn't want to open it yet in case that would reduce its value.

My 1996 Lyc was torn down in 2004 to check an AD on piston wrist pins. No visible rust anywhere. But then I live in a "drier" state (booze and humidity).

It also had the six month oil spray & no desiccant plugs. It's been a strong performer since run in 08.

Just did this...

Cost me $6500 at: http://www.aerotecengines.ca/

I'm in MA and the best part was they picked it up and also delivered it back to me...probably won't do that to NY however. They do a lot of business down thru Maine, NH, Ma and CT. Great to deal with. Call the owner Jason Crowell.