jus10stephens

Before I contact the folks at Vans I thought I would ask here. I am looking at a 6 that has hail damage. Does anyone know what the upper replacement skins would cost for a tip up 6? The ones that it would need are the turtle deck, horizontal stab, elevators, ailerons, flaps and wings.

Thanks to all and have a good weekend,

Justin Stephens

You can look that up on VAN's site using the part number. Go to the on line catalogue and search on "The List".
You could also just buy some sheet aluminum and after you drill off the existing skins, use them as a template. Set the old skin on the new metal and drill through all the old holes, clecoing as you go to a piece of plywood, and you will have a perfact match. I have done this and it works great.

Just wondering if anyone has calculated for example empennage price from Van's pricelist (just linked by Dan) to compare how much is the difference buy it as whole or piece-by-piece? Anyone been that curious and wasted time instead working in a workshop? ;)

sf3543 said:
You could also just buy some sheet aluminum and after you drill off the existing skins, use them as a template. Set the old skin on the new metal and drill through all the old holes, clecoing as you go to a piece of plywood, and you will have a perfact match. I have done this and it works great.

Since the skin has already been dimpled, the holes are probably bigger than #40, and centering the new hole will be difficult. One good option is to drill them all out to #30 (after the skin is removed and is sitting on the bench.... :)...) and then use a transfer punch to mark the hole centers. Since you are going to be putting the dimples on the new skin into the existing dimples on the ribs, you need as much accuracy as you can get to ensure the new skins will be smooth. The dimples will define the alignment.

Transfer punch

gil in Tucson ..... did this on a major fus. skin I over-trimmed... :(

Last edited: