denbobp

Well Known Member
Is 6k for a used cw crankshaft that mics to standard standard to much.? It's been a couple of years since I was pricing them but they weren't nearly that high with inflation.
The part was going to be for A3B6 model

Danger,Danger Will Robinson!

Would you be buying this from Dr Smith???? Used counter balanced cranks are a minefield. One,yellow tagged and is at new limits,yea your going to pay big bucks. There are ADs out on a lot of these counter balanced cranks.Call ACS and talk to them about it.Also there is a big difference between New Limits and Service limits. recommend you do more homework on this before you part with your cash.
RHill

crank

I bought a new counter wgt'd crank a month ago for 6k. Found a new lyc. for 6700.00 (free of ad's). I went with the Superior . The lyc. may still be available. You need to add the c wts. I ended up at $6700 with new c wts. and balanced with my flywheel. This is a small main crank part # that is used in an experimental io-390. Ron

Check and double check the AD?s. Those crankshafts are extremely expensive, and certain crankshafts for different size Lycoming were affected during a number of years.

I found out today from a friend of mine who has access to an oil man?s 1999 Cessna 182 with the 540 engine and only 700 hours TTAF&E that he later found out had been flying illegal all of this time. But the AD covered other size Lycoming engines as well. After going through many extensive annuals, often at 14k plus, come to find out this shop in Abilene, TX that had doing the annual for a number of years, and is supposed to be reputable, missed several important AD?s, with the crankshaft being the most costly.

Since it wasn't caught in time, it will now cost $21,000 just for the crankshaft alone for the 540 engine, and that doesn?t include labor.

This was only noticed because another shop gave the annual this year when the plane was moved closer to my hometown. The way I understand it, Lycoming would have fixed the crankshaft at no charge, or for $2k later on for a number of years, but somebody else would have had to supply the labor. There was a handful of other things that this A&P fixed as well, that made the engine run much better, all missed by the other shop.

It?ll be interesting to see if the Abilene shop is going to ante up $21k for the crankshaft, along with supply a mountain of free labor too, for missing this all of these years.

Right now this 200k plane is grounded. Also, if something was to have happened, insurance companies would not have paid out because the AD?s were not complied with.