jartlip

Well Known Member
Does anybody that lives near the ocean keep their RV tied down instead of hangared? My hangar rent went up...again...in Pompano Beach, FL, and I am considering putting my RV4 in the tie down area instead of in a hangar. I share a 40 x 40 hangar with another guy and it costs us each $370/month, while the tiedowns go for about $75/month. I have the airplane treated with ACF-50 during each condition inspection, and have never seen any corrosion. I thought about getting a heavy a/c cover for it and leaving it outside, but the mere thought of doing so makes me nervous. However, $370/month is a lot money. Do I suck up the hangar cost or save money and keep it outside? Comments???

On a similair note, does anyone have room in their hangar at PMP for less than $370/month???

Wow - I was grumbling about $75/month for my half of a hangar in SJT - I'm gonna shut up now.

40x40

We have a 42x42 hangar and get 2-Rv-6's a Long-ez and a Kolb Slingshot(highwing-light aircraft-untralight-looking) all in there!
Get some more hangar mates! You would be surprised how much you can fiit in there.

On another note, I local guy has just bought a 1992 RV-6A that was based in Wilmington NC outside all its life tied down. The prebuy that was done today looked very carefully for corrosion but found only tiny bits. Plane had been primed inside. Originally painted when built and repainted about 2000.
So some people do it! But 370 a month is very steep, wow.
I couldn't bear to do it to my -6.........
Good luck.

Hangar

When I was trying to decide which plane to build, the Sonex was one of them. The Sonex has stainless steel rivets on all exposed panels for some odd (and still unknown to me) reason. I already knew that stainless steel and aluminum is OK as long as the salinity is zero, but I wanted to get more to the bottom of things, so I went to the library and got a book called "Corrosion of Aluminum and Aluminum Alloys" by J R Davis.

Anyway, experiments and experience has shown that the corrosion rate of naked aluminum alloys in typical coastal climate is easely a factor 100-500 compared with desert conditions and typically 50-100 compared with normal inland climate.

Good corrosion protection will help tremendously, but that will also a hangar do.

Hangar vs Tiedown

Be sure and ask your insurance carrier about any difference in premium. It can be more expensive with the airplane outside. BTW, I would be happy to pay the $370 a month, over here on the left coast it can cost over $500 for a T-hangar.And yes, there is a waiting list.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Have you considered moving? Check around for airparks, where you can justify a little higher mortgage (if neccessary) because your hanger is included! A lot more convienient, too.
Seems a lot of airparks aren't listed or on the web, so you may need to ask around. Ya never know - you might find your dream house in a dream location!