Flyinizit

I'm New Here
Okay guys, what is the simplest, easiest, lightest, and best method of priming parts? Thinking about the Sherwin route, can you brush it and if so at what mixture rate? Thanks

Okay guys, what is the simplest, easiest, lightest, and best method of priming parts? Thinking about the Sherwin route, can you brush it and if so at what mixture rate? Thanks

I don't know if it is the simplest method, but I ended up using SW Primer and a HVLP auto paint gun. I am getting concerned about trying to spray parts in the winter though.

Jeff

After alumniprep and alodine I used SEM self etching rattle can primer. Nothing to clean up when you are finished, just put the can back on the shelf.

It seems to be holding up well.

One word of caution, if it humid (or the part is wet), the stuff won't stick and will flake right off.

Other than that, it is holding up well.

When building I would end each work session by scuffing, alumniprepping, and alodining the parts. They would hang up to dry over night and then before leaving for work in the morning I would spray everything. Then when I would get home at night, they were ready to assemble.

Sherwin Williams and other self etching primers..?...

....most, Sherwin Williams for sure, offer minimal corrosion protection. Says so write in their own applications info. Now, that said, all of Van's QB's use the stuff and none are falling out of the sky.

Corrosion protection is a matter of degree's. Alclad provides a barrier, acid etch and wash converts oxygen further, primer another, sealants and expoxies, yet even more.... It comes down to the individual person and the environment the aircraft will live and be flown.

The easiest most cost effective corrosion protection is already built in; Alclad. However, given moisture and time, it will corrode.

By the way, if you acid etch and alodine wash, you dont need a self etching primer. It is already etched and ready for suitable primers and sealers.

Living in the MidWest, I am priming all of the mating surfaces with the primer that Van's uses, Sherwin Williams P60-G2. As an example, I prime the flange on the wing ribs, do not prime the mating skin surface. I mix a couple of ounces at a time using animal syringes to measure it, obtained them from the local farm products store, Farm & Fleet. One part primer to 1.5 parts activator. I bought a gallon of the primer and a gallon of the activator. (This was probably way too much, overkill). I am using a small foam brush to apply the primer to the mating surfaces. Will consider the application of Corrosion-X or LPS after final paint.

I am priming the non-alclad parts using a rattle can primer after scotchbrightening them. Using NAPA 7220 and/or MarHyde available at O'Reily Auto parts.

I decided on this method after conversing with Jim Cone. He is doing similar and he is on the west coast.

Many here in the midwest after doing similar. Used to own a 1946 Cessna 140, no priming, no corrosion after 50+ years.

Call me if questions.

Last edited:
When I use the SW at the prescribed ratio it doesn't appear to cover very well, not that that is an issue for me, it's just that all of the photos on everyones sites show the primed surfaces more solid in color. I just want to make sure that I'm not doing something wrong. I want to thank you guys out there for your input. This site has been a very big help.

Enough nasty chemicals

The past couple of days I have been doing some touch up painting on my 1975 Piper Warrior. I was using SEM self etching primer under Dupont Imron. Even in a well ventilated hanger the fumes were noxious. I was only painting a very small area of hangar rash. I'm ready to try something new. I think I will go for the Stewart system water based primer/surfacer. Even this is probably over kill on the Alclad parts. Like others have mentioned, many planes from Piper and brand C were built with no priming at all. My 30 year old Warrior has no corrosion. I have 10 years of owner assited annuals behind me and have seen the insides of every part of the plane. The plane has lived it's entire life 10 miles from San Francisco Bay in a hangar and has done just fine.