RV10Rob

Well Known Member
What do people use for corrosion protection on the "inside" of the powder coated parts? I'm thinking of parts like the aileron torque tube assemblies, which are powder coated everywhere except inside the tube. Using the same method as the aluminum parts? Something different? Nothing at all? I'm planning on using the same rattle can self-etching primer I've been using all along, but am curious what others are doing.

Thanks...

Rob

The only way something can rust if moisture gets in there. I used sealant at each of the ends to completely seal the tubes and block out any moisture from getting in.

The traditional method for steel tubimg is to pour in some boiled linseed oil. Rotate the part around to get an even coat, then let the excess drain out. You could also pour in some primer/rust preventative. Sealing the openings after doing this would be the ideal way treat the parts.

Sounds great... I'll use the boiled linseed oil and seal those that I can. Thanks for the help.

-Rob

Be vary carefull using boiled linseed oil. Rags and paper towels wet with linseed oil will self combust. Be very carefull how you store and dispose of them.

The worse for combustion

Be vary carefull using boiled linseed oil. Rags and paper towels wet with linseed oil will self combust. Be very carefull how you store and dispose of them.

This man is so right. Test for spontaneous combustion showed that linseed oil was hands above other oils.

I almost lost a car due to castor oil which was in RC model fuel. A rag that had fuel on it was in the my start box started smoking while I was driving back from flying. When I pulled over and threw it out, it burst into flames.

A rag that had fuel on it was in the my start box started smoking while I was driving back from flying. When I pulled over and threw it out, it burst into flames.

WHOA! That's crazy!

I would rather consider priming those from inside. Doesn't oiling make them much harder to seal from ends?

I let the oil drain out for a hour or so then attached the end fittings before the oil had cured. Regular primer may or may not be better, but oil is a time-tested method.