RV10Rob

Well Known Member
Reading VAF threads has me paranoid about corrosion in the engine. Last weekend, I turned the crank on my new, preserved Aero Sport IO-540 engine to test the phasing of the EI, thus scraping the preservative oil off the cylinder walls. I won't be starting my engine for another 2-3 months, so do I need to do anything in the mean time? How about the fogging oil used for boats? I did put the dessicant plugs back in.

Thanks...

-Rob

Call Bart

Reading VAF threads has me paranoid about corrosion in the engine. Last weekend, I turned the crank on my new, preserved Aero Sport IO-540 engine to test the phasing of the EI, thus scraping the preservative oil off the cylinder walls. I won't be starting my engine for another 2-3 months, so do I need to do anything in the mean time? How about the fogging oil used for boats? I did put the dessicant plugs back in.

Thanks...

-Rob

It is very common to get to this stage and have a few months to go. You might call Bart or Sue and verify, but I recall him telling me that there was no issue in storing it in that condition for a few months. I did exactly that and had no problems.

not a problem

I asked AeroSport this very question a few weeks ago in teh context of installing the prop - the answer was no problem, just be sure to remove the dessicant plugs before turning it - and they did not even add the caveat of "OK for a few months".
And without the ignition or fuel system installed yet, no worries about an inadvertent start.
Bill Brooks
Ottawa Canada
RV-6A finishing kit

Thanks, guys... that's what I was hoping to hear. And, yes, I wish I had done this earlier, since turning the prop dumped a bunch of oil all over my air filter and FAB.

-Rob