danielhv

Well Known Member
Ok, so I was cleaning around the hangar today, getting ready to open the fuse box, and I rolled my wing cradle around to get it out of the way. I noticed big white splotches all over the top and bottom skins around the wing walk area. It dawned on me... it was 105 degrees F when I was riveting this area... I was sweating pretty good. I used a paper towel to wipe it off, and I guess I just smeared it as opposed to soaking it all up. Now, its a permanent decoration on my wing skins! What do I do?

I'd hate the thought of having to stop the build to have to sand and prime these wings. Will the stuff spread like the plague if I do nothing? I really expected the Alclad to hold up a little better... I dunno. Just kinda disappointed. :(

The wings (and rest of the build) is in a hangar because I live in an apartment. Its not climate controlled or anything, but its also not like im living on the coast or anything. (Little Rock, AR).

The affected section of the wings was done back in early summer... so its not like they have been sitting years.

Suggestions?

cut yourself and drip some blood on it, then cry about how bad it hurts

i think the blood/sweat/tears combo will be an excellent first-flight paint job, and I have a feeling a lot of us will have that in common!

i'm interested too as to how you'll clean this up, MEK won't fix it? it's actually affecting the surface?

I've just scrubbed it off with a scotchbrite pad and then soaked it with some alodine. All is well.

No biggie.

Ok, so I gather there are 3 options...

1) Scuff & Polish

2) Etch & Alodine or Prime

3) Do nothing until its time to paint.

Obviously option 3 is the easiest... my questions to everyone is on the behavior of corrosion...

1) Will it spread?

2) Will it continue to corrode or has it already done its damage, now its just a cosmetic issue?

3) Will it just stay put and not do any more damage assuming there is no more exposure to sweat or salt water etc?