Chappyd

Well Known Member
I bought a used wing kit that had sat for a while in a shed in NY. While most of it appears fine, there are several sheets with this.........

p1010016gc7.jpg

p1010020bm1.jpg
p1010021np3.jpg

What's the best way to deal with this? Is scotchbrite and primer good? Scotchbrite and alodine? I've searched the forums and found conflicting advice. The discoloration is NOT thru the alclad, and appears to have no depth.

This looks like what a lot of us get when we remove the blue plastic. I've just given it a good going over with a Maroon Scotchbrite and, in some cases, primed.

My wings are in the cradle down in the basement and I've kept a close eye on things in the two years since I first discovered this and have noticed no problem either on the area that I did prime, or the spots where I didn't.

Chappy,

Looks like you went and picked it up!

Cool!

Anywhoooo, all the advice you have been given is good!

You will want to scuff it away, clean it and prime it. All stuff you have likely been planning to do all along!

The alodining is a good idea too, but I wouldn't do it. In my opinion, the paint would be enough. Of course, the alodine wouldn't hurt at all!

Belt and suspenders, ya know!

Nice grab!

:) CJ (In Massachusetts, not far from you!)

Thanks for the replies. Tonight I finished getting all the plastic off the skins. Now it's all stored in my basement workshop, temps stay around 60 in the winter, and we run the dehumidifiers in the summer. For now I'll just watch closely and take care of it as I get to those parts, sooner if need be.

Captain, looks like you're 29 min away in Mooney time :) Maybe I could come see your project after the holidays if the Mooney is still mine. I've had her for sale since March, with what seems like a steady stream of tire-kickers, but only one person actually came to see it.

Corrosion suggestion

Chappyd,

I've seen similar but far less advanced corrosion on my kit too. Pretty much I've followed the advice you've gotten; carefully and thoroughly scotchbrite the area and prime it. However, there's one more step I plan to take when the plane is done and that's give it a Corrosion-X treatment and then follow up every 2-4 years. I've used the Corrosion-X on my Cherokee and it really seems to get into all the nooks, crannies, and seams with time. I trust it works based on the advertising and the reasonableness test (if they were advertising 3 extra kts that isn't reasonable but corrosion resistence with a chemical treatment seems reasonable) but I don't know for sure.

Neighbors

I'm signing off on the first kit today, have done a ton of research as well as scoured these pages, bought the tools, built the workbenches and cleared the space. Cars will have to winter outside this year. Nice to see someone closeby.

A quick comment about basements in CT. Run the dehumidifiers, but also make sure you don't stack boxes on the floor or against an outside wall without some ventilation. The boxes trap moisture and prevent air movement creating a microclimate and corrosion, as well as mold and decay. I keep a fan blowing against the outside wall, particularly the uphill side to minimize the risk. Also, there is a paint supply shop in Portland, CT on Rt 66, he sells PPG, good local resource.