MartySantic

Well Known Member
It has been so cold today, I decided to educate myself on the accepted torquing procedure. Completed the vertical stabilizer a day ago and the upper hinge bracket is attached to the spar/platenut (K1000-3) using an AN3 bolt and washers.

I have read a number of the posts on VAF, have read Section 5.0 in the plans (which specify a bolt/nut combination) and have read Section 7.0 of AC 43.13 (Acceptable Methods). Also have looked at the Standard Aircraft Handbook.

I understand the necessity of measuring the drag torque but all of the tables that I see specify a bolt/MS20364 or MS20365 nut combination and not a bolt/platenut combination.

Being a bit picky here, only trying to educate myself. I am not intending to start a war!

Anyone have a reference or know of the "approved/accepted" methodology.

Last edited:
please post up what you do, I just got to that exact point yesterday, till I know for sure am just going to put them on finger tight to keep the hinges from getting misplaced.

Was hoping Mel would respond as he has answered a number of questions with regard to torquing components.

I understand the necessity of measuring the drag torque but all of the tables that I see specify a bolt/MS20364 or MS20365 nut combination and not a bolt/platenut combination.

The same methodology should be used on a bolt/platenut as on a bolt/nut. First measure the "drag" of the combination and add this to the torque.

Mel,

Thanks........ Should I follow the bolt/MS20364 nut or bolt/MS20365 nut combination as listed on the table when torquing to the platenut???

An interesting specification...

Mel,

Thanks........ Should I follow the bolt/MS20364 nut or bolt/MS20365 nut combination as listed on the table when torquing to the platenut???

...question, and I did find a answer in an old (1976) FAA document AC 65-9A - A & P Mechanics General Handbook.

Page 14 of this section....

link to a long FAA url

They place a standard MS20365 (not the thin shear nuts) with the same torque requirements as threaded machined parts. I think placing a platenut in the "threaded machined part" category would be quite reasonable.

This was the closest "approved" description I could find in any of my reference sources.

My thanks to all. There most certainly is a wealth of information available via this forum. And I initially thought that this question was too "simpleton" to ask!!