KiloWhiskey1

Well Known Member
I rebuilt and converted an O-360 A1A to an IO-360 M1B (type setup) with horizontal induction. While ordering parts from J&J I ordered what I thought was the correct dipstick and tube, however it turns out that 8qts in yields a reading on the dipstick of roughly 5 quarts. Can someone tell me the part number for the dipstick on their IO-360 M1B?

Thanks very much!

Keith

Keith, why not just re-mark the dipstick? I used a file and punches to add the appropriate marks to mine when I shortened the tube...

Remember that 8 qts. showing on the dip stick should include what's in the filter after running. Wouldn't be 3 qts. but IS a factor.

Sounds like your stick is for a shorter tube.

Still looking for the part #

Hey Kyle, long time no see. I may end doing just that, but I'd like to see if I can find the correct dipstick if possible. My current one is too short anyway, so I'd have to buy another for either scenario.

Mel, thanks for the reply. The dipstick I have came in a factory package along with the tube, so I assume they are a matched set. That may be a bad assumption on my part however.

Anyone out there with the correct part number, please post it!

Thanks, Keith

Hey Kyle, long time no see. I may end doing just that, but I'd like to see if I can find the correct dipstick if possible. My current one is too short anyway, so I'd have to buy another for either scenario.

Mel, thanks for the reply. The dipstick I have came in a factory package along with the tube, so I assume they are a matched set. That may be a bad assumption on my part however.

Anyone out there with the correct part number, please post it!

Thanks, Keith

There are two listed for the IO-360 M1B

10-9/16 long
Tube - 75767
Gage - LW-14769

11-9/16 long
Tube - 75737
Gage - LW16783-18

Since the dipstick tends to be in the aft area of the sump, I don't know if Lycoming adjusts the gage portion for a taildragger vs. nose gear airframe. I suspect they might.

Even the O-360 A series has four tubes listed and 5 gage assy. (the dipstick) listed.

Dipstick

Replace the rod with a piece of 6061 or 2024 aluminum. Push out the pin in the cap, machine the end of the new rod, install and drill for pin. Now you can custom mark it for your configuration.

Replace the rod with a piece of 6061 or 2024 aluminum. Push out the pin in the cap, machine the end of the new rod, install and drill for pin. Now you can custom mark it for your configuration.

And a neat way to mark it is with a couple of turns of a tubing cutter.

dipstick

I plan to run the engine to fill the cooler, drain the sump and then refill two quarts at a time, marking the dipstick as I add oil. This will be done in a three point position on level surface.
When Curtis Pitts was dealing with the FAA for the first certification they made him do this to prove the dipstick was properly marked for a taildragger.