Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
OK, I know the engine mount tubes are 3/4", so I need MS21919W(XX)-12s.

But...what "XX" is recommended for use in the engine compartment?

From Genuine Aircraft Hardware, I see 3 kinds of bands and 5 kinds of cushion!

My guess, and it's just that, is an MS21919-WCJ

C - Corrosion Resistant Steel band
J - Fluorsilicone cushion

That looks like the only combination that is a) temp resistant to 400 deg., and b) resistant to petroleum-based fluids.

But those dudes are over $3 *each*.

What are your thoughts? What are people using in the engine compartment?

Come by the shop...I have a 55 gallon drum of surplus adels your welcome to scrounge through. We also carry stainless ones, but I do not know what the rubber is.

Hmmm....thanks for the responses, guys, but none of them answered my question (but Mike, I'll be by to scrounge through your bin :) ).

I have the specs, courtesy of Gen-aircraft-hw, but I was asking...what are people using? Is it necessary to use the ones for higher temp (400 deg) vs. the 212 deg ones? etc.

Again...what are people using in the engine compartment? What is *acceptable* for use according to FAA, etc.?

My certified Grumman...

Again...what are people using in the engine compartment? What is *acceptable* for use according to FAA, etc.?

...uses the DG type, including a critical one holding the mixture cable outer sleeve in place on a carb bracket.

The only exception I can think of is the spark plug wires clamped to the cylinder heads, and they use a white insulation and a special Champion part number.

Thanks for the data point, Gil.

Just don't want to get all the way done and have someone (like the DAR) say "hey, you can't use those there, they have to be [xxxx] type" :)

Guess I'll order up some WDGs and use them until/unless I hear or learn of any other requirement.