p51dplt

Well Known Member
Does anyone have tips on how to get a good looking and even corkscrew layed out on the spinner? I have been asked to do it by a friend and want it to look good.

Please Help!!!

spinner art

HI,
I made two attempts to get my spinner right. First I went mechanical and jigged up the spinner on an ultra slow turning axle. Had motor reduction unit laying around from another project. Although it seemed like a good idea, after several attempts, I could not get the stripes right. The next attempt was done using the 3m 1/8 tape (see link below). I shot the background base coat of the cream color you see in the photo but not the clear coat. I cut the tape into small squares and applied it to the spinner in the approximate positions where I thought the lines should go. The corkscrew lines in the final result are different widths at different points on the spinner. Once I had the squares where I wanted them, I sequentially removed the squares and wound the tape to the square's previous positions.
I then used green body shop tape and green body shop masking paper to complete the masking.
Hope this helps

IMG_0141_zps4573a25e.jpg

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac151/blackbeard10/IMG_0141_zps4573a25e.jpg

http://3mcollision.com/products/tapes/specialty-masking-tapes/3m-vinyl-tape-471-blue-36404.html

K.I.S.S.

Does anyone have tips on how to get a good looking and even corkscrew layed out on the spinner? I have been asked to do it by a friend and want it to look good. Please Help!!!

Brant,
I've always liked the corkscrew spinner ever since the first one I saw on a museum FW-190. All of my model airplanes had one and even the shock cone on the 737's CFM-56 has one.
I tend to keep things pretty simple. I grabbed a roll of electrical tape, set the spinner on an upside-down 5gal drywall bucket and started wrapping. Once satisfied I grabbed my touch-up gun and shot three coats. I waited an hour then peeled off the tape. Not too bad, considering total time expenditure was less than 5 minutes.

Your mileage may vary...

V/R
Smokey

RVX Air-screw...

Last edited:
Sometimes spinner art can be a combination of spinner & prop. I had so much going on with my paint scheme that I chose a single color spinner but also painted & stenciled the prop. Turned out great.
RV-8A-Fresh-Paint%20(1).jpg

Sometimes spinner art can be a combination of spinner & prop. I had so much going on with my paint scheme that I chose a single color spinner but also painted & stenciled the prop. Turned out great.
RV-8A-Fresh-Paint%20(1).jpg

I really like your prop stencils, looks great! The finish is amazing as well, how about a shot of the entire airplane?